Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Cannot open shared database - port 1434

Highlighted

Re: Cannot open shared database - port 1434

thanks madara, it works like magic!

Highlighted

We are having the same "port 1434 may be blocked" issue.  So far none of the solutions that have worked for others have worked for us.  We have restarted the SQL Server Browser and Server (ACT7), nothing changed.  We have tried changing the .pad file so that it points to the IP address of our server, then received the message that the "IP address" computer and "Innovative" database were found but I did not have the appropriate share permissions.  Although all of the share permissions are enabled.  Tried starting over and then received the same port message again... "The "Innovative" computer could not be reached because the port "1434" may be blocked. Opening the port or reconfiguring your firewall settings may resolve this issue."  The firewall settings are all set to let all Act, Sage, SQL through and I have reconfigured the firewall settings on my computer to allow anything from our server's IP address and "Innovative" and still the same message when trying to get on our Sage database.  

Using a windows server which has our database on it.  All users are using Mac's (OS X) with Parallels, using Windows 7.  Our version of Sage is Sage Act Pro 2013.

Hope someone can help!! Thanks!  

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try explicitly opening port 1434 (UDP), 1433 (TCP) and the port that actdiag says that your SQL database is using (TCP).  If that doesn't work check the shares to make sure that everyone has access to the share and the folder.  They are different.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Highlighted
Astute Commentator

I just experienced this "Port 1434" error message.  I believe the cause of the problem in my case was that my main domain controller and DNS server was bogged down and unresponsive while attempting a full server backup.  I stopped the backup job, the DC became responsive again, then the user can get into Act again.  I'm thinking this is Act's way of saying that there is a DNS issue or share permission issue where the workstation can't communicate to a domain controller.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

@Bfoster- Act! doesn't know about the DC. It's just trying to access the port of a machine.

Of course, if the DC is unresponsive, the network won't return the correct IP - So Act! just knows it can't connect.

Netstat (on the server) and Telnet (on the workstation) are useful Dos/Windows tools that can help pinpoint the reason.