Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open my Database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Cannot open my Database

I have tried just about everything. I am getting the following message: Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..." I have done everything here and it still does not work. http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640/kw/Error%3A%20the%20database%20cannot%20be%20a...

Any more suggestions??

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ajtbs
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Cannot open my Database

[ Edited ]

For anyone who is interested the problem was due to the ADF and ALF files being backed up via 3rd party application when the user was logged on. Even when you try to attach it via ACTDIAG using the option without the log file you couldn't it stated it already existed . I got a copy of the files and even trying it on a Virtual machine you got the same error. I then tried to attach it to SQL via SQL Server Management Studio on SQL server and this basically gave me the error :-

"The log cannot be rebuilt because there were open transactions/users when the database was shutdown, no checkpoint occurred to the database, or the database was read-only. This error could occur if the transaction log file was manually deleted or lost due to a hardware or environment failure. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1813)"

The fix!!

1) Create a new database in ACT! with the exact same name and then copy the SQL ADF and ALF files and attach them in to SQL

2) take the database off line.

3) stop SQL service

4) move the  ADF and ALF into another folder

5) copy the ADF and ALF file to the same location

Start SQL 

6) In SQL Server Management Studio the database  but the database on line

You may need to run the following

ALTER DATABASE [NAMEOFDB] SET ONLINE;

GO

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX (N'NAMEOFDB', N'STATUS');

7) you will get errors but the DB will now say SUSPECT

8) Repair the database by :-

ALTER DATABASE [NAMEOFDB] SET EMERGENCY;

GO

ALTER DATABASE [NAMEOFDB] SET SINGLE_USER;

GO

DBCC CHECKDB (N'NAMEOFDB', REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS) WITH NO_INFOMSGS, ALL_ERRORMSGS;

GO

8) run ALTER DATABASE [NAMEOFDB] SET  MULTI_USER 

9) detatch the database and then on the ACT! server detach the blank database with the same name.

10) Attach the database via actdiag then tried to logon,

11) I got the following error

Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint  'CTL_SYNCROW_ADD_PK. Cannot insert duplicate key in object dbo.CTL_SYNCROW_ADD

12) run database fixes  via http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26854/kw/26854

13) logon to the database OK and Backup.

14) Restore the database on to the original machine

I have said that I would export the contacts in to CSV and then import them into a new DB then Import the data from the ACT! database just in case there is ay problems with the DB.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Contributor

You haven't mentioned if anything has happened to your machine since you were last able to open your database or if you can even open the demo database.

I would make sure that the ACT7 SQL instance is started in services if this is working, then check to make sure you can see the database files and folders via windows explorer. Does the security of the files and folders look OK?

Can you create a new database and open this OK?

Platinum Elite Contributor

I can open the demo database files just fine.  I cannot get into my existing database.  I ran a clean up of files using the Microsoft utility.  Not sure if that deleted something it should not have.  I have no clue.  The SQL server is running.  I did restart the two programs.  I believe the security of the files and folders are ok.  Any way of knowing if they aren't ok?

I have not started a new database.  Should I?

I am using a 64 bit computer.  Microsoft 7, service Pack 1.

---------------------------
Error
The database AJTBS could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide.
OK Help

I have removed all of my antivirus software and my firewall is disabled.

Yes, I created a new Database with no problems.

When I try to import the contacts from the old database into the new database, I get the following error:

[Window Title]
Open

[Content]
AJTBS
This file is in use.
Enter a new name or close the file that’s open in another program.

[OK]

I do not know what other program could be using the database files.  Maybe that is my big issue?  Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

As you can do other databases, it isn't SQL or Act! and unlikely to be firewall ... the KB you linked in your first post has a number of items specific to a database. Try them.

If still having an issue, what did you do just before it failed?

I was not doing anything before it failed. I just rebooted my computer.   I believe I did us the program "Disk Cleanup" and checked off everything listed.  

When I try to import the old database into the new database, using the Pad file, I get the following error message.

ACT!
Failed to open a connection to the database.
OK