Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open my Act 2008 database in Act 2008

Cannot open my Act 2008 database in Act 2008

I use Act 2008. It worked fine for a while. Yesterday, however, when I tried to open Act, I could not open my database. I get the following error message every time I try:

The database bob could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may b e necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide.

I use Kaspersky for virus protection. I tried turning it off, and I still got the same error message.

I really need to get in quickly - all my schedule and contacts are inaccessable now, since I cannot syncronize Act to my PDA with Windows Vista.

This is not a database from a prior version of  Act. It is the database I created and have been using in Act 2008.

Somebody please help me get Act going again. 

Thank you.

Bob Sharpe 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot open my Act 2008 database in Act 2008

Thank you.

I can open the Act Demo Database OK.

When I try to open my database, I am asked for a password. I don't remember setting it up with a password when I set it up 2 months ago. I've tried using every password I've ever used - just in case. I've also tried without entering a password. Nothing worked.

It has always opened automatically when I opened Act until now.

I do not know why it suddenly stopped working.

I tried to use Outlook to access my email. Outlook cannot open my Act address book, either.  

There is one event might have had a part in the problem...

I uninstalled a trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements 4. During the uninstall, the computer locked up for a long time. I finally rebooted. My problem with Act started after the reboot. Do you think that could have something to do with it? I do not remember if Act was open at the time, but it probably was, as I normally kept Act open throughout the day. 

I am going through your suggestions now.  

PDA Syncing 

Regarding the PDA syncing: I use a Cingular 8125 Pocket PC.

Syncing is so important to me that I have been seriously considering abandoning Act and using Maximizer instead. 

If there was a way I could sync my contacts with Outlook, I could sync my PDA from Outlook, but for some strange reason, Act doesn't allow syncing contacts to Outlook.  

I tried one of the 3rd party sync programs for Act, but it won't work with Vista, either.

Do you know of any solutions for this?

Thank you. 

For the password, it might be blank.. but you might be useing the wrong user name. Try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4r46ah

For sync with PocketPC (windows Mobile 5/6), even with Vista, I recommend Handheld Contact - you can download a trial from that link to see if it works for you

Hi, Bob-

I had exactly the same result when I tried to open my database for the first time today. 

I was able to get it opened again by following the instructions in GL's link to you in the "Damaged .PAD File:" section.  I don't believe there was anything damaged in my database file.  I think it most likely had to do with my having to re-set up my home wireless network.  When I named my laptop, I didn't remember the previous name I used, so I just picked a new one.  I get the feeling that this name is somehow used by the SQL Server and there was some kind of disconnect when I changed it.  (I'm an experienced ACT user - since it was a DOS program - but I'm not a tech.  So take my "guess" for what it is.) 

Hope this might help-

Mike

The PAD file (Pointer to ACT! Database) has the machine name that the database is on. You can actually open it in Notepad to see it