Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open local database HELP!

Cannot open local database HELP!

I left work on Monday and everything was fine. I shut down and my computer started an update (Security Update for Windows (KB3185319)).

On Tuesday morning I was unable to open my local database and got the error: <database> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Here is what I have done:

I have disabled firewall. I have tried opening other databases and the only ones that will open have the share option on them. I have two databases that are not shared and they will not open. I have went into demo and opened it.

I have checked that SQL 7 was started.

I then upgraded ACT thinking that would fix it and now I'm afraid that I screwed it up forever. My last backup of my database was January 2015 as for some reason it stopped allowing it to back up.

I now have the version below:

Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0

I am using Windows 7 Professional.

My work does not support ACT as I am the only employee that uses it.

Administrator

Re: Cannot open local database HELP!

[ Edited ]

Hi Kdasilva,

How exactly are you browsing to the database you're trying to open?
Where are you seeing the shared status for the databases? A screenshot of this might be useful.

We have a Knowledgebase article that covers the many scanarios where this error can occur: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

I opened up ACT and went to open/share. That is the first screenshot on the attached. When I run actdiag, it is not listed in there (second screenshot) and when I go to attach, it says the database already exists.

I did check that link and have tried my best to attempt those options.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

From your screenshot, I presume that you are unable to connect to the databases named LGCRESTOREAGAIN and LearningCareGroupMarch20... Is this correct?

From the screenshot of ActDiag, I can see that LGCRESTOREAGAIN is not listed. This means that the DB is not locally attached to SQL. If you expand the Databases column in ActDiag, can you tell me if the LearningCareGroupMarch20.. database is listed?

I suspect that either the .PAD file has become corrupted or outdated, or the databases do not exist in the locations shown in Act.

Please browse to the location of the database as listed in the path, and look for [databasename].ADF and [databasename].PAD. where [databasename] is the database you are unable to open.

If both of these exist, delete the .PAD file, and double click on the .ADF file. This should open the database in Act and recreate the .PAD file.

If they don't exist, can you find them? Do you know where they may have been moved to and why? If you find them, try the steps above.

That is correct. The database I need to open LCGRestore is not even listed, however. I was able to mess around and get it to show up, but then I did something and it is back to being missing.

I am going to try your steps below to see if they work in the event I can get LCGRestore to show up.

No, LearningCareGroupMarch20 is not listed in Actdiag.

I deleted the pad and ran the adf and I get the attached error.

[ Edited ]

I just did something and the database I need is now showing in ACT but I cant open it and it is not showing up in actdiag. LCGRestore - Attached

I try to attach it in actdiag and it says that the file is in use.

I feel like I need to get it to attach to SQL and that will solve things...not sure how to do that :/

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Just to confirm, is the database (.ADF) locally stored on the machine where Act is installed?

Are you able to create a new database?

Yes to both.