Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open database

Tuned Listener

Cannot open database

I cannot open my database or my backup.  I would appreciate any help I can get.  ACT! Diagnostics gives me the following message in the "Details."

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Database 'GCGrace' is already open and can only have one user at a time.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable)
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection.ْ()
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection.BindDataGrid()
   at ActDiag.DatabaseCollection..ctor(SqlConnection ConnSAConnection)
   at ActDiag.ServerInfo.get_Databases()
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.נ(Object ԙ, EventArgs Ԛ)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.MenuItemData.Execute()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.DispatchID(Int32 id)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5448 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ActDiag
    Assembly Version: 14.1.108.0
    Win32 Version: 14.1.108.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/ACT/Act%20for%20Windows/ActDiag.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5453 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Transactions
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Cannot open database

Is this database local to your computer, or is it hosted on a different computer?

Since the error starts with "'GCGrace' is already open and can only have one user at a time.", have you tried rebooting the computer and then launching ACT!?  

When you attempted to access the backup, are you referring to restoring a backup?  If yes, try using the Restore > Backup > Database > 'RESTORE AS' option.  This wil give you the opportunity to give the restored database a new name and not overwrite the exiting database.  Will it then restore?

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Thank you for the assistance.  I was able to open my last backup using restore as.

It is a local database and I had tried rebooting and starting ACT!. 

Tuned Listener

I now have access to my main database, but I cannot sync with my remote database.  How can I get the old remote to synch with the new master.  I don't want to lose the data.  Failing that, how do I remove the old database entirely so it no longer clutters the system?

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Database 'Aug20' is already open and can only have one user at a time. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) 1) Error in database 2) Quick fix did not work, So Act asked me to Lock database, so it can apply a deeper fix 3) Fix did not work 4) Closed database 5) Database doesn't open - 6) database cannot be accessed - check network connection, check database server is available, ok 7) ActDiagnostics - Database list, does not open - "Database is already Open....one user at a time" How do I close database? thank you in advance Local database, one admin user.
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Peckel,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

This appears to be a corrupted connection between Microsoft SQL and the Sage ACT! database.  Try the following steps to rebuild that connection:

1. Use the ACTDiag utility to detach your database: KB Article 14620

2. Rename the PAD file associated with your database (it does not contain contact data and will be recreated later)

3. Attach the database to SQL using ACTDiag: KB Article 27044

4. Run maintenance for database: KB Article 19642

5. In ACTDiag, right click on the database and select 'Unlock'

6. Open database using ADF (launch ACT! > select File > Open Database > change 'Files of Type' to ADF > browse to database ADF file > select and open.

Greg Martin
Sage