Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open database "Requested registry access is not allowed" (Act! 2009)

Cannot open database "Requested registry access is not allowed" (Act! 2009)

I am receiving this message, "Requested registry access is not allowed", everytime I try to open Act!.  I have uninstalled / reinstalled, uninstalled & completely removed all references to ACT! & SQL Server, run registry optimizers & repairers.  All without improvements.

If anyone with ideas about this problem, could at least get me started in the right direction.

I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bill

Silver Contributor

Re: Cannot open database "Requested registry access is not allowed" (Act! 2009)

This usually can happen if you are installing without full permissions as a local administrator.  Try this article. 

How to Determine If You Have Local Administrative Rights in Microsoft® Windows

Also, try rignt click on the ACT program short cut and try run as administrator.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Bill,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. What operating system does your computer use?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Actually, I have been using the program for at least six months, and then about two weeks ago this started.

I am using Windows XP SP2

Thanks,

Bill

Does anyone else have any ideas?
I really at a loss to what else I can try, to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Bill
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bill,
That error usually indicates that your Windows profile does not have local administrative rights on your machine...Windows is not allowing you make required registry updates when opening ACT!. If this just started, it may have been caused by a Windows update or your Windows profile may be damaged. Did you follow the steps in the KB article referenced by "johnmklub" in his earlier response? If so, what were the results?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Yes, I have followed the instructions, with no change in the results.  I am going to try installing with an administrator account.

Thanks,

Bill

I need to correct a typo.  "I am going to try installing with an administrator account.", should be "I am going to try installing with a different administrator account.

After installing with the other administrator account, I received this error "The email program is not available".

I found the solution here, http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2056...

Thank you, everyone for your help.

Bill