Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open database on ACT 2012 Pro, database missing from actdiag

Cannot open database on ACT 2012 Pro, database missing from actdiag

Hi all,

After months of ACT running fine I have suddenly got the Cannot Open Database error message.

This is a local installation of ACT 2012 Pro.

I have restarted the two SQL services and changed the PAD file to point to the local IP address instead of PC name, none of which worked. I have run actdiag and listed the databases but my Live database is missing from the list, the one that has been working for months.

There are more troubleshooting steps for databases that are SUSPECT but nothing about a missing database. How can I tell SQL about the database again?

The database files and PAD file are still in the correct place on disk. I've rebooted the PC.

Thanks for your help,

Simon

Re: Cannot open database on ACT 2012 Pro, database missing from actdiag

Simon,

Welcome to the Act! Community forums!

There's a bit of a workaround that we can do to try and diagnose what is happening, but I usually ask that you call into support to have a technican do it.  It's a bit of a trick, but let me detail it here.

We have to make SQL believe that it deleted the database.  Basically we're going to rename the database files, "Delete" the database from SQL, and then replace the database through Act!

1. Stop SQL Server (ACT7)

2. Rename the Database files.  Put the word "fix" or "temp" in front of each of the appropriate files:

-.ADF

-ALF

-PAD

-Database Files folder

3. Start SQL Server (ACT7)

4. Open a command prompt, and navigate to your Act! Installation folder

-Default is c:\program files\act\act for windows  (Program Files (x86) on a 64-bit system

5. Type the following:  ACTDIAG -DELETE  <DATABASENAME>

-Don't worry, we renamed those files, so you aren't deleting anything

6. Close the command prompt

7. Rename all of the files (Except the.Pad) back to the original names.

8. Make sure Act! is closed, and double-click the .ADF file.

If it gives you an error, please detail it here.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com

Hi bclark,

Thanks very much for your reply - I'll try this as soon as I can. The office has shutdown for a holiday so I'll try this as soon it reopens and will let you know how it goes via this post.

Regards,

Simon

Thanks Billy - I've had a chance to try what you suggested but I hit another error:

"The log scan number (983:2430:286) passed to log scan in database Kendal is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error ocurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.

Could not open new database Kendal CREATE DATABASE is aborted."

When I restarted ACT I got "The last database opended cannot be located" as it had disappeared from the list.

I'm not sure how the ldf/mdf file could not match. 

Are there any option to fix or recreate either file?

Regards,

Simon

In the later versions of Act! you can recreate the log file for a database directly from the tool.  Here's the basics:

1. Detach the database

2. Rename the .ALF file to anything different

3. Open ACTDIAG

4. Click Tools>Attach Act! Database>Missing Log File

5. Attach the .ADF and let it recreate the log file.

Note:  The log file created will not be an ALF file, but will be an LDF file.  This is fine.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com