Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open database created using "Save As"

Cannot open database created using "Save As"

I made a copy of my database in ACT! Version 11.1.183.0. The copy and confirmation steps worked as expected.

But when I try to open the file, I get the message "To finalize the registration, the database administrator must login first." and the file doesn't open.

I am the administrator of the database but there is not UI for logging in.

How do I open this database?

Thanks,

Wayne

Re: Cannot open database created using "Save As"

Is ACT! registered?  You can verify by going to Help > Register ACT!.

Thanks - that fixed the problem. There was no activated version listed, so I (re)activated and now I can open the file. But raises another question.

I registered this installation when I first installed it, and have been able to open multiple databases since that time. Only this copy of an existing database gave me trouble. Any idea why?

Also, I recently installed a new hard drive in my computer - I migrated by cloning the old one. When I initially started using the system with the new drive there were no problems. But a short time later I got a message that I needed to activate to continue using ACT!. I did that at the time and was able to open and use several databases until now.

Thanks again,

Wayne 

Now I cannot run ACT! because it wants me to register again and won't accept the same serial number that I used earlier today on this same computer!

I tried to open a second database I copied using the Save As command. When I did that I got the same error message as before that I needed to be logged in as administrator. Again, I checked the registration as you suggested, but now it showed that I was no longer registered. When I tried to re-register, it would not accept my serial number.

Any idea what is happening and what I need to do to fix it?

Try following the knowledgebase article below.

You are Prompted to Register ACT! After You Have Already Registered the Program

Also send me a private message with your serial number.

David,

I called the register by phone number and was able to get up and running for now. I'll email if I have more trouble with that.

But he information in the article you referenced is very troubling.

I use both a VPN and a docking station. I need to be able to access my database whether I using these or not.

So I consider this to be a major flaw (bug) in ACT! if I need to change my VPN and docking station status every time I want to access a new file.

Thanks for your help,

Wayne