Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open database ACT Pro 2013 since Windows 10 update

Cannot open database ACT Pro 2013 since Windows 10 update

Re: ACT Pro 2013 v. 15.1.108.0

I've read several messages and instructions on the error messages I'm receiving when trying to open databases created prior to most recent Windows 10 update. (Approx. 5/25/18) I'm not getting anywhere. 

I am able to create a new database and import my data from older back-ups of the previous database. Unfortunately those back-ups are a few months old. Better than nothing but...

I've used the actdiag but keep getting a series of error messages when trying to use that. "ERROR: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'  which goes away after clicking (OK) 3 times. NO idea what that means. I was trying to see if there was a different user name or password listed here for either of the 2 older databases as described in one of the suggested fixes. Nothing at all comes up for the old database under the Events Types.

I have to assume something got toggled on or off during the Windows update but odd that creating a new database works just fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Cannot open database ACT Pro 2013 since Windows 10 update

Try clicking on the Windows start button in the lower left corner. Type in Services.msc and hit enter. Scroll down the list that opens until you see SQL Server (Act7) - right click on that entry and then hit restart. Try opening Act again.
Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Highlighted

Re: Cannot open database ACT Pro 2013 since Windows 10 update

Thanks Patricia. I found the issue, but can't remember how or where after trying so many things that were being suggested. 

I am not on a "network" but when the last major Windows 10 update was applied a Windows Defender Firewall setting was added or changed. It was by turning off the Firewall for "Domain Profile" which seems to have solved my problem. I had disabled my Avast Firewall and Virus scanner earlier which made no difference.

Thanks again for your reply!