Do you mean 

Cannot open attached document...Using Act Pro 2011

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Cannot open attached document...Using Act Pro 2011

[ Edited ]

Using Act Pro 2011...

Windows 7 and 10

I have a Standard user who cannot open any document attached to a contact profile. This user can create the document from  Write>"Other Document from template" then save it. All other users can open that document, however, this user cannot open it nor can she open any document. No errors, just nothing happens.

She is properly configured to open documents with Act Word Processor. I have exhausted all my known options including deleting preferenceBAK files.

Any ideas? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author DanL
‎05-30-2017 06:03 AM
Administrator

Re: Cannot open attached document...Using Act Pro 2011

Hi DanL,

A couple of things you can try:

After you open the document in Act! Word Processor, choose to save the file as a .wpa somewhere, then manually attach the document to the Documents tabs on any contact. Can you then right click on the file in Act!, then click Edit. Does the editor then open?

If you use the File > Record History feature in the Act! Word Processor, could you then open the history record by double clicking it in Act!, then try right clicking the file in this window. Does anything happen?

Act!_2017-05-24_09-31-24.png

Like I mentioned earlier, it's recommended to move away from the Act! Word Processor, and use Microsoft Word as the Word Processor for Act!. With the Act! integration installed, you can still record history directly from the open document.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi DanL,

I'm a little confused here. Are we talking about all documents, or just Act Word Processor (.tpl) files?
Does the user have Microsoft Word installed?
Can the affected user open any files attached in the Documents tab on any Contact record in Act?

We have templates created for various functions. In this situation, the user while in a Contacts profile can create the document by the following Write>Other Document (from template) then save as Act Word Processor document then attach to the contact's profile. This particular user cannot open the document once the file is saved to the contact's profile when all other users can. When clicking on the document to open nothing happens, no errors. If I navigate to the database file where the document is stored I still cannot open the files. I logged in as an Admin to test if my profile could open the document with the same results. 

ll files are associated with and are set to open with Act Word Processor. Word is installed on the PC and I can open Word docs from the PC that are associated with Act. 

No idea where to turn. My next step would be to uninstall/reinstall Act.     

Administrator

Hi DanL,

What file type are the documents being saved as after opening a template via Write > Other Document (from template)?

I've tested and the default is .wpa, which doesnt seem to open anything when double clicking for me either.

Saving it as a .doc will open the document in Microsoft Word when double clicking.

My environment is Windows 10. Are your other users who can open these files also on Windows 10?

The Act! Word Processor is a legacy part of the software. We recommend that Act! is set up to use Microsoft Word as the word processor in the settings under Tools > Preferences > Communication. This will make use of the .adt files instead of the .tpl files when clicking Write > Other Document (from template).

The documents are saved as .wpa. We are running on Windows 10 with a few still utilizing Windows 7. The odd part about is that both Win 10 and 7 can open them on other PCs.

I will try saving as .doc and see what happens. 

If I save the document as a .doc to the desktop I can open it with Word no problem. I apologize but I forgot to mention a step in the save process.

If I create the document from the template then file save>record history>attach document to history, I cannot open it from the history window. If I then save it to desktop as .doc it opens just fine. If I attach the .doc to Act from the desktop it opens just fine. 

We use the attach to history as a time saver but maybe I can't do that anymore?

Solution
Accepted by topic author DanL
‎05-30-2017 06:03 AM
Administrator

Hi DanL,

A couple of things you can try:

After you open the document in Act! Word Processor, choose to save the file as a .wpa somewhere, then manually attach the document to the Documents tabs on any contact. Can you then right click on the file in Act!, then click Edit. Does the editor then open?

If you use the File > Record History feature in the Act! Word Processor, could you then open the history record by double clicking it in Act!, then try right clicking the file in this window. Does anything happen?

Act!_2017-05-24_09-31-24.png

Like I mentioned earlier, it's recommended to move away from the Act! Word Processor, and use Microsoft Word as the Word Processor for Act!. With the Act! integration installed, you can still record history directly from the open document.

This is the strange part...if I do as you suggested on my PC or any other of my employee,  everything works as it should. I can right click or double click to open the file, save as a .wpa file anywhere then open it, attach it manually etc. 

On the PC that is having the issue she can create, save to history, save to desktop, manually attach the document to Contact history however when she double clicks or right clicks nothing happens. No errors no nothing. Strangest thing I ever saw. My only option left is to try to uninstall and reinstall the application.