Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open/access database in Pro 2011

Cannot open/access database in Pro 2011

I installed the software and opened up a database from an external hard drive that was saved by another user (I took over her job.). Then I thought I should really copy the database to my laptop so that I don't have to be connected to the external hard drive. So I closed  the program and copied the file to my hard drive. When I tried opening it up from the hard drive I get the error message that the database cannot be accessed. "In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server. Press F1 to troubleshoot." Well F1 and help button do not work. I also have made sure that the firewall on the computer is allowing access for the Program. So I tried to reopen the database from the external hard drive instead and I get the same error message. Any idea why I could access the database from the external hard drive and then in the next minute I couldn't and what the error message is referring to? I have over 2,000 contacts and need access to the database pretty much everyday to do my work so this is really messing me up. Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot open/access database in Pro 2011

What files did you copy over?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

the .PAD file

That's only a pointer file, that's not the database. You need the ADF, ALF and the supplemental folders.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you so much. I copied the .adf and .alf files over too. When I tried to open the .adf file I got the error message that my database already existed so I had to rename all 3 files? Anyway, I got it open and all my contacts are there but in the detail view only 10 user fields are showing and I had like 28 in the database before. Do you know how I can get the rest of the user fields to show up in the detail view?

You'll need to copy over the layout files from the external hard drive, thry're in the database supplemental files.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Ok, I brought over all the supplemental files including layout. How do I get the software to "use" the layout files? It's just opening up the database in the format like before I brought the layout files over.

When you moved the ADF and ALF files alone and opened the database ACT! created a set of default supplemental files with the root folder named <database> database files. This will be in the same folder as the ADL and ALF files. I don't know without testing if you can substitute your original folder tree for the one ACT! created. If the layouts are the only issue then I would simply copy the fiels from your layout folder into the layout folder ACT! created.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Well I tried copying the layout files to where I thought Act created them on my computer but it didn't help. So I figured out how to add fields to the User Fields tab and after adding 20 more they populated with the data and I think all might be well! I thank you so much for your time and efforts on my behalf. I can finally get back to work!