Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot load contacts/database into ACT version 8. Using Parallels on Apple.

Cannot load contacts/database into ACT version 8. Using Parallels on Apple.

I have successfully loaded Windows XP and ACT on my new Apple using the new Parallels 7.  Now, I cannot get my contacts/database to go into ACT.  I have them on my desktop after bringing them over with a portable hard drive.  Error message: "ADF files msut be on a local device.  Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used."  Any suggestions?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Cannot load contacts/database into ACT version 8. Using Parallels on Apple.

You need to copy the ACT! data files from the portable to the Windows partition on the machine they are not able to run of a removable drive

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Now I have the databases sitting in folders on my desktop and Act 2006, version 8 loaded.  However, ACT will not load the databases.  I have 2 old databases and believe 1 of them is messed up (encripted).  I was reading that 2006 ACT will not load certain versions of ACT.  I don't even know what all of these extentions are.  I really need some expert help.  

Bronze Super Contributor

Any chance you have an ACT! backup zip file from whatever source the database you are trying to open id from?  This might be easier for you to just do a "Restore" -> Restore As than messing with the "raw" files...

For some reason the backup files are not .zip files

[ Edited ]

"You need to copy the ACT! data files from the portable to the Windows partition on the machine they are not able to run of a removable drive"

How is this done??

Bronze Contributor

What files do you have on the portable drive

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.