Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot initialize email & strange Act icon, running OL as an administrator

Copper Super Contributor

Cannot initialize email & strange Act icon, running OL as an administrator

Hi,

Been having an increasing number of issues with Act the last week.  Only notable change was a phone-dialer add-in I purchased last Monday, but from a long time add-in vendor so I am not convinced it is that, and besides the issues started showing up two days after that add-on was installed. 

In addition to Map-to-Excel fields being always greyed out (I already have another thread for that), beginning end of last week I cannot send emails from Act unless Outlook is run as an administrator. This was not the case last Wednesday.

Running OL as an administrator is problematic as I use the Instant Search capability constantly and that function is turned off when OL is run as an administrator.

I have reset the Redemption.DLL, adjusted load balancing in the registry, started SQL, and more.  I even spent over an hour with tech support having Act reloaded last Thursday.  I had the new dialer add-in turned off in the Act Add-On manager once, too, but that did not help.  Maybe that is not the same as removing it entirely, which I've not tried.  

A small shield icon, like the Windows Anti-Virus icon, now is overlaid on top of the Act startup icon.  That just started last week, too.  I am not even sure what that is.

icon.PNG

Any thoughts?     

Mike

Bronze Contributor

Re: Cannot initialize email & strange Act icon, running OL as an administrator

Your issues are probably caused by a Windows update. We've seen all kinds of issues with applications, not just Act, that get clobbered by security updates from MS. Check the Windows log and I bet you will see a correlation between the Windows  update and your issues.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Nickel Super Contributor

The Icon shows that ACT! runs "as Admin"...
Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Patricia,

@pregen wrote:

Your issues are probably caused by a Windows update. We've seen all kinds of issues with applications, not just Act, that get clobbered by security updates from MS. Check the Windows log and I bet you will see a correlation between the Windows  update and your issues.

Indeed, there were some updates on August 27th which I think correlate to when the issues began.

Given that, any way around this?  I cannot be the only person suffering form this.

Mike