11-07-2008 09:59 AM
We are running Act! 2005 in a shared environment. There is a database of contacts where the user never entered any data in the provided "Contact" field. Instead he created a customer field named "Owner Name". So now I have another user that needs to have the "Owner Name" to be imported into the "Contact" field.
I tried exporting all contacts swap out the field "Contact" and "Owner Name" but when I go and import the data it doesn't show up. I am able to import the "Owner Name" field into any other custom fields but cannot import it into the "Contact" field.
Is this an error or is this the way the program suppose to work?
Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!
11-08-2008 05:34 PM
11-10-2008 08:29 AM
11-10-2008 11:20 AM - edited 11-10-2008 11:21 AM
I don't know for sure, but the Contact field being missing does not seem like it is something that would be totally unexpected.
When you are in the Detail view, when you enter a value (say for example "Real NoReally Nobody") into the Contact field, the system does not simply put that value into the Contact field, it parses the value into First, Last and Middle names. In fact, the system prompts you to validate that it has correctly parsed the name into those parts.
During both the Import and the field exchange, how would ACT! be able to parse and validate this information?
It is possible that the Contact field is left out of the Import and the field swap so that the system does not have to resort to guessing about this parsing process.
Sorry, but unfortunately I do not know an alternate solution.
11-10-2008 11:29 AM
I TOTALLY agree with you RealNobody. I was just hoping there was an alternative solution that I haven't thought of. The annoying thing was that the user was entering the contacts one by one and leaving out the "Contact" field so now there is about 2100 contacts with empty "Contact" fields. I can copy and paste them manually which I will probably tell the new user to do as he starts to work with the database. Thanks for all the help. If anyone else has any ideas feel free to contribute.
11-12-2008 12:54 PM
11-12-2008 04:30 PM
Do you see a little box with 3 dots in it at the end of the "owner name" field.
if you do, click on it, if it brings up a window asking to select first name, middle name, last name, then the field has been renamed
go to "Tools" "Define Fields" and rename the field back to Contact.
11-12-2008 04:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. The button with the 3 dots is next to the Contact field. So it seems like everything is correctly defined. But when I got to swap fields, the "Contact" field still does not show up. I'm guessing something is corrupted. Not sure but I guess for now I will have the person using the database to copy and paste the Owner Name into Contact field as he works with each contact.