Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot import data into empty contact field

Cannot import data into empty contact field

Hi,

We are running Act! 2005 in a shared environment. There is a database of contacts where the user never entered any data in the provided "Contact" field. Instead he created a customer field named "Owner Name". So now I have another user that needs to have the "Owner Name" to be imported into the "Contact" field.

I tried exporting all contacts swap out the field "Contact" and "Owner Name" but when I go and import the data it doesn't show up. I am able to import the "Owner Name" field into any other custom fields but cannot import it into the "Contact" field. 

Is this an error or is this the way the program suppose to work? 

Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!

Bronze Contributor

Re: Cannot import data into empty contact field

If these are in the same database you can use Edit, Swap to move the data from one field to another as it will not work with Export, Import.
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have tried to do the swap field but for some reason i was able to get the "Owner Name" field but the "Contact" field seems to be missing. Maybe there is something wrong with my database or layout? Thanks!!!
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know for sure, but the Contact field being missing does not seem like it is something that would be totally unexpected.

When you are in the Detail view, when you enter a value (say for example "Real NoReally Nobody") into the Contact field, the system does not simply put that value into the Contact field, it parses the value into First, Last and Middle names.  In fact, the system prompts you to validate that it has correctly parsed the name into those parts.

During both the Import and the field exchange, how would ACT! be able to parse and validate this information?

It is possible that the Contact field is left out of the Import and the field swap so that the system does not have to resort to guessing about this parsing process.

Sorry, but unfortunately I do not know an alternate solution.

Message Edited by RealNobody on 11-10-2008 11:21 AM

I TOTALLY agree with you RealNobody. I was just hoping there was an alternative solution that I haven't thought of. The annoying thing was that the user was entering the contacts one by one and leaving out the "Contact" field so now there is about 2100 contacts with empty "Contact" fields. I can copy and paste them manually which I will probably tell the new user to do as he starts to work with the database. Thanks for all the help. If anyone else has any ideas feel free to contribute.

Thanks!!!!!

Bronze Contributor

I think this might be that the Contact field has been renamed as I just looked and I can swap data from or to the contact field
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Do you see a little box with 3 dots in it at the end of the "owner name" field.

if you do, click on it, if it brings up a window asking to select first name, middle name, last name, then the field has been renamed

go to "Tools"  "Define Fields" and rename the field back to Contact.

Stephen King
Also Devices Pty Ltd

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. The button with the 3 dots is next to the Contact field. So it seems like everything is correctly defined. But when I got to swap fields, the "Contact" field still does not show up. I'm guessing something is corrupted. Not sure but I guess for now I will have the person using the database to copy and paste the Owner Name into Contact field as he works with each contact.

Thanks!!!