Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot import csv

Cannot import csv

I've looked all over this site. I cannot find a solution for this issue. When ever I try to import contacts from a CSV file, it acts like it's going to start, then it just closes the import dialog. That's it! No error message or anything! It ends up not importing anything. I've tried splitting up the CVS file. It still doesn't like it. Please help! Thank you.

Re: Cannot import csv

I am also having a similar issue with act 11(2009). I imported about 3000 contacts with a .csv file and everything mapped over fine but one field. I've tried splitting that field out, renaming it and just about everything else I could think of and nothing works. I'm trying to map this over to the record manager field. Can anyone help?
Copper Elite Contributor

josh,

The record manager field is not a character field as it appears to be.  It is stored differently internally but when displayed on the screen it presents as a text string representing the username.  That's why importing a text string into the record manager field doesn't work.  Usually you can create an additional field when importing and put some temporary value that you can use to lookup after doing the import.  After the import is done lookup those records for that value you specified before import then you do an edit replace on the record manager field to the user you want.  Both of these processes however are cases where you want to absolutely back up first; importing and doing edit-replaces as they involve mass changes.  You can always restore a backup if something doesn't look right or go as expected.  

Platinum Elite Contributor

The record manager filed is a text field but what is stored in that field in the database is the unique ID of the record managers My record. What's displayed is the contact name of the record managers My record.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Seems like I not the only one with problem importing csv file from Excel, go thru steps seems to be working but no files are imported, Please respond to problems. Thanks

Been working on this all afternoon, must leave soon, need reply ASAP
Bronze Super Contributor

Just a wild guess:  How about attempting a test import into the demo database?

Same thing or does it work?  If it works, than you have something going on with the target database...