Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot import a CSV file to my existing daabase

Cannot import a CSV file to my existing daabase

Act v11 (2009) Win 7

I have read all the post on this topic but none seem to fit my situation.

I find that I cannot import to my existing database but can import into a newly created database. This says that it must be the old database that is the problem.

I looiked at ACT diag and ran the repair Schema but did not help. I created a new copy but had the same problem. For some reason I cannot created an empy copy of my DB. It tells me that I am trying to created it on an invalid drive though it is not. I had pointed to the same folder as the other dBs for act.

Before I attempt to manually recreated this DB Is there a way to repair it?.

Thanks for any help!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Cannot import a CSV file to my existing daabase

If you are creating the database in your My Documents\ACT folder, there could be an issue with permissions or redirected documents.

Try creating your empty copy in a new folder on the C: drive: example C:\Act Database.

Did you try the Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair option? Also, go into Help > About ACT! > Database Information, then try the import again.
Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

I  did go through the database maintenance routines and also used actdiag to rebuild the schema but no fix noted.

I opened the about act databases and saw a lot of data but no actionable functions that would solve a problem. Is there something in this window that I can do to try to solve this problem.

There are really two problems in this software:

Can't create an empty database and can't import CSV

I tried creating an empty database on c:/actdatabase but it has the same response. It thinks that I am trying to create a database on another drive and says that this drive is invalid. I am the admin on this machine and have never had problems installing software on this machine.

The question is, what is causing this problem? I don't want to go through the pain of manually recreating this database by adding fields only to find that the same thing happens to the new database.

Can you say what not to do or do to prevent this problem of not being able to load a CSV file?

Any help will help

Thanks,

Platinum Elite Contributor

William,
What are the exact error messages you are receiving and when do you get them? Also, if this is an access issue, try disabling User Account Control. Instructions for Windows 7 are in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2566...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greg,

I set the user account control as the knowledgebase said (off and restart) and then tried to make an empty database. The error message that I get says "The specified location for your copy database is invalid. A dabase must be copeid on a drive on your machine."

The location I use is the default location which is C:\Users\Bill Bowser\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 11\Databases.

I can make a full copy to this location but not an empty copy?? It uses the same location each time but somehow makes a determination that one is good and one is bad???

Thanks for any help.

Bill Bowser

Platinum Elite Contributor

Are you able to create the empty copy in another directory besides the default? Create a new folder on the root of your C: drive and see if you can create an empty copy in there. If so, you can then move that copy to your default directory per the instructions in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2339...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

No, I tried that before by creating a directory at c:/actdatabases and pointed it to that location but it gave me the same error message.