Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot get my database files to open on new machine Act Pro 2012

Copper Contributor

Cannot get my database files to open on new machine Act Pro 2012

[ Edited ]

Running: Act Pro 2012 v 14.1.108.0 - Windows 10 (new computer after old one running Window7 crashed) - MS Office 2010 - personal use with remote sync to netbook running Windows 7

My old computers mother board died but the hard disc was fine, got all of my files transferred to a portable drive, copied them to the new computer and cannot get the data base to recognize my old files. I installed the Act software from the portable drive, had to start with the demo database then entered my serial number and that seemed to work but it does not see any of my files or settings. It does open the database name that has all of my files but only shows one contact - a new my contact with only my name obviously just created. How do I resolve this?

Thank you,

Rod

Newest: thought I was being smart...deleted the specific database from the new computer, copied the database and corresponding files individually (they were larger so again - smart) to the new one. Now Act won't open at all - "The SQL database instance is unavailable". The Demo database opens fine but on exit shows - "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Also on opening Act it wants to config the phone settings every time, good grief.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot get my database files to open on new machine Act Pro 2012

If you have copied the database over you must rename the .pad to .old or delete it as it will be pointing to where it was on the old machine..

Now open the database using the .adf file.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your response, I can now open the database and the correct number of accounts appears but there is no display of the individual accounts. The error code says there are no layouts, but in the layout folder there are several (I am have been using one of the older ones) Also on exiting the program the error code "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" appears. Looks like I require a little more help, thank you again.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Can you just make sure the layout folder does have layouts in them?

Looks like permissions of the layouts folder needs changing. Right click on the layout folder and  select properties - Security - edit and add EVERYONE and give it FULL CONTROL.

Restart ACT.

Copper Contributor

Ch1p, with your help I figured out the main issue and it was/is all me. When I first started the new computer I changed my user name just slightly from the old one (ignorance is bliss, I don't do this very often!) so of course when copying over the files from the old hard disc the two user names won't match. Now, is there any easy way to correct this short of going back to square one?

Copper Contributor

Re: Cannot get my database files to open on new machine Act Pro 2012 - 2/1/2017 Now can't sync

after figuring out that I needed to create a new user with the old computer's user name (because I copied all of the old files to the new machine) I seem to have full functionality but...I cannot sync to my netbook and receive this error code: Act is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database (it is) and that the network sync service is running (not sure what that means, sync set seems correct). Also be sure you are connected to your network (running on home wifi). Contact your admin for assistance (that's me). Help!

Also, on opening the database I am getting: For added functionality fill out the windows phone information dialog. And on exiting: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Administrator

Re: Cannot get my database files to open on new machine Act Pro 2012 - 2/1/2017 Now can't sync

Hi storm,

I see you have also asked this question in your other thread. I'll post a reply in there to avoid going off topic in this thread.