Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot get ACT 2008 installed in a Vista computer.

Cannot get ACT 2008 installed in a Vista computer.

I have been an ACT user for about 10 years.  Up until ACT 2007 I was happy and maintained contact logs with all my customers and prospects using ACT.  NOW I'M FURIOUS!!

ACT 2007 caused problems that were resolved only by uninstalling it and thoroughly cleaning the computer's registry to eliminate all references to ACT.  Solving that problem took more than one month.

I cannot even get ACT 2008 installed in a new Vista computer.  I've worked on the problem for nearly three months to no avail.  Part of the problem seems to spring from Sage's replacement of older xbase data management software (that worked well) with Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005.  That's when my problems started, at least.

At the present ACT 2008 will not install, SQL Server Express 2005 does not accept maintenance updates, and other software using SQL no longer works and cannot be updated either.  The problem could be with ACT, it could be SQL Server Express, or it could be Microsoft Vista, or maybe its all three.  (I'm caught in the middle and have been without any contact management support since early January 2008.)  Vista itself may have something to do with these problems:  It has new and extremely irritating security procedures thwarting much of what I want to do, making me less productive than I was with Windows XP Professional.

Microsoft's technical staff removed the section of SQL Server Express dealing with ACT, allowing installation of the latest updates for SQL Server Express 2005.  However, a later failed ACT 2008 installation made the SQL problems reappear.  These have invalidated attempts to install updates to Microsoft Accounting Express.  I now have neither ACT or the Microsoft accounting routines.

I need help and hope for useful suggestions.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot get ACT 2008 installed in a Vista computer.

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! in Control Panel
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338
Uninstall MS SQL from Control Panel if it's still there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10
Download and Install ACT! 10.01 patch if the installer was prior to this
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

As a caveat, if you're running any other SQL 2005 product on the system, let me know before doing this...

Reply to GLComputing:

I think your suggestions are just what I need.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

You asked if there are other applications using SQL Server Express 2005.  The answer is yes, partly.  Microsoft Accounting Express 2007 has been installed but hasn't been used as yet.  I will add its removal to your uninstall suggestions for Control Panel actions.

I made paper copies of the three ACT! KB articles you suggested, plus another for uninstalling ACT 2007 (9.0).  ACT 2007 was transferred from my older Windows XP machine.  The KB for its removal (19346) is very involved: I used it several times last year trying to resolve problems with ACT 2007.  My current trouble grows out of trying to update from ACT 2007 to ACT 2008, so I probably have computer crud from both versions.  Your instructions for ACT 2008 removal will be followed first, any leftovers will be cleaned up with the steps designed for ACT 2007.

If it's not an issue to remove the Accounting product, then yes... do that

Re the KB for removal - Don't do the manual uninstall, just download and run Uninstaller.exe

Your suggestions worked!!  Thanks, I had not had ACT! support since very early January 2008. 

There were a few minor changes due to Vista's penchant for undue security and the trouble it brings.  The Vista adaptions I made were to:

1.  Create a restore point before starting.  This is important and all too easy to forget.  (Actually, this is something I forgot to do and could only approximate from another restore point from about the right time.)
2.  Turn off User Account Control (UAC).
3.  Unplug from the internet and turn the virus checker off.
4.  Gave complete access to my hard drives for the System/Administrator/User groups.  This made me nervous.
5.  Follow your steps and their elaborations explained on Sage's web site very carefully.  The older ACT 2007 and Microsoft Accounting Express were uninstalled as the first step. 
6.  As you suggested, I did not follow the intricate Sage instructions to uninstall ACT 2007 (9.0).  Their new automated routine seemed to handle that well.
7.  Each other uninstall step was followed in turn, the system was rebooted with a selective start, MS SQL Express was installed manually, and then the ACT 10 installation process was run.
8.  Turn UAC and the virus checker back on after the installation was complete and go back to a normal start.
9.  Set a restore point to save the upgraded system and performed a system backup too.
10.  Revert to restore point conditions to get rid of the security compromises made above (I tried this without success, oh well).

Actually I went through the Steps 2 thru 7 four times.  Microsoft fatal install error -1603 showed up the first time.  It took awhile to come up with a workaround.  Step 4 lists what I did to that end.  Microsoft claims that the error happens only on Win2000 and WinXP systems.  (They're wrong.)  It comes from (1) trying to install to an encrypted drive, (2) trying on a substitute drive, or (3) trying without enough access rights for the System user type.  It took three more installs before I cleared up what was meant and found the necessary Vista controls.

In any case, I now have real, live, working ACT! 2008 (10.0) support.  Will apply the 10.01 update as conditions warrant.  Thank you again !!  I wish other folks were as helpful as you.  Maybe some other frustrated soul will benefit from this message sequence.

Glad it worked for you. I'll have a think about expanding my list to include some of your good ideas