Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot find Outlook msg file in Attachments folder

Copper Contributor

Cannot find Outlook msg file in Attachments folder

I have an email that was sent in 2009 and my user may have deleted it from her mailbox.  I can see it and open it in from the Contact record but I need to open the .msg file so we can attach it as proof for our client.

In the Attachments folder, I sorted by Modified Date and searched by the subject line and cannot find this message.

We're using Act Premium 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2.  Outlook 2007, Windows XP on the client.  Windows Server SBS 2003 on the server.

Suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot find Outlook msg file in Attachments folder

You can open the MSG from the Contact? If so, why not Save_As?

MSG files are named: OA_machine_x.msg
OA = always starts with OA
machine = the PC the email was saved from
X=a number that increments by 1 for every email

If you open and save or email it, it gets renamed with the subject

So, if you know the name of the PC it was created with, you can limit the search
Copper Contributor

Thank you Mike for your suggestions.  I didn't word my last post correctly.

There is a "E-mail Sent" history item but this email does not appear in the Documents tab as an attachment.  I can only open the history, and there is no option I see to save it or print it with the email headers proving the date/time it was sent.  Add this to the archive problem, and it appears I have no options to get an original email back to prove once and for all that it was sent.

Is this a drawback of the Outlook Sync?  If it matches the email address, shouldn't it attach the email instead of just creating a history entry?  It is configured to attach the email, subject, and all attachments as a history.

If they have to drag these emails into the Documents tab to attach them, it will negate the convenience and efficiency of automatic email attaching.  Smiley Sad

Platinum Elite Contributor

The body of the email should be in the ACT! history ... that would be just as much proof as the msg file
Copper Contributor

You would think, right?  But the people we're giving the email to will have to pay money if they admit that we contacted them about something back in 2009.  I have a feeling they're going to look for any reason not to pay up.  Like a date/time stamp on an email.  Smiley Wink

Thanks again for your help!

Platinum Super Contributor

Do you have any old backups? If yes, you can use the Restore function with the 'Restore As' option - to restore the backup to a different name. Then check that restored database for the physical file.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I do have backups but the physical file was never attached via the Documents tab.  It's only in History, which you're saying doesn't create a msg file in the database Attachments folder, right?

Platinum Super Contributor

It depends on your 'record history' settings at the time the email was sent. If it was set to 'subject and text only', then correct - no file would be attached, only the history item for the email sent.

If you are seeing the body of the email in the history item, then your setting was most likely 'subject and text'. Only if 'subject, text, and attachments' is selected does it save it as a complete email (an attachment).
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

That's correct, the setting didn't include attachments.  I've since changed that.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Bronze Super Contributor

What about checking the Auto-archive file for Outlook?

Or in an old backup of the email server or .pst file from the machine...?