Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot export one Contact to another database on ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Cannot export one Contact to another database on ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

I recently upgraded to Sage ACT! Pro 2011 (Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2) from ACT! 2009 and am no longer able to pull up a contact record and use the File > Export function to export a current record to another database.  Both databases have been upgraded to the 2011 version, both still have same Record Manager.

The Export wizard opens as usual, takes me through all the familiar steps and when I click Finish it instantaneously completes.  I used to watch a progress bar go through a few different steps, i.e. exporting histories, notes, etc. but not any longer.  However, when I open the database to which the contact should have been exported, he/she doesn't appear.

Thanks for any assistance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ntoren1
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: Cannot export one Contact to another database on ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

I still think that is hte problem. You just would have to turn off duplicate checking in the master database. Is wil sync down.

You don't mention why you have a second database, but a lot of times we see folks have a database for Prospects adn then one for customers and they try and move them back and forth.  This is always messy.  Just a thought, we generally discourage using multiple database for almost every one.  It's just too complicated to move contacts back and forth. I"m not sure if this is what you're doing, but keeping everything in your production database and then using fields, dynamic groups and field security to keep everything separate is far easier than managing multiple databases.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

Re: Cannot export one Contact to another database on ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

Try turning off duplcate checking in the target database. Tools, Preferences, Admin

(866)710 4228

Strangely, that small area of the Admin tab "Disable or enable duplicate checking" is greyed out.  So I can't turn it on or off.  Don't know which mode it's in by default.

Silver Contributor

Any chance that database is a remote database? that option is greyed out on Remotes. Must be set on the Publisher Database.

Duplicate Checking in Preferences is Grayed Out

(866)710 4228

Jon,

You're right, it is a remote database.  I checked the parent database and it was already turned off (not checked).  I was hoping this was a more common issue with this version of ACT! and I might find some other suggestions.  Guess we're shooting in the dark here.  Any other suggestions welcome.

Solution
Accepted by topic author ntoren1
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

I still think that is hte problem. You just would have to turn off duplicate checking in the master database. Is wil sync down.

You don't mention why you have a second database, but a lot of times we see folks have a database for Prospects adn then one for customers and they try and move them back and forth.  This is always messy.  Just a thought, we generally discourage using multiple database for almost every one.  It's just too complicated to move contacts back and forth. I"m not sure if this is what you're doing, but keeping everything in your production database and then using fields, dynamic groups and field security to keep everything separate is far easier than managing multiple databases.

(866)710 4228

Thanks, Jon.  Seems to be syncing now after I checked the source database. 

I don't quite understand your aversion to using a second database, I must say.  We maintain our main database with around 12,000 contacts and from time to time we need to remove someone because they're no longer in operation or are off the map for whatever reason.  We remove them so they're not included in mailings, etc. and thus save us some money and effort.  This also helps us maintain a "clean" database which is helpful for a variety of reasons, as you may understand. However, sometimes these folks reappear and we'd like to know what our notes/history is with them. Since we exported them to a second database while they were AWOL and then back into our main database when they resurfaced we kept all the useful info and can simply bring them back into our main database and update their contact info.