Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot do back-up - temp filed being used by another process?

Cannot do back-up - temp filed being used by another process?

Hi,

I am an Act 2007 user who cannot get a back-up done.  I've tried rebooting to close out the other process, but whenever I try my back-up I get an error message saying that my back-up has been cancelled due to my temp file being used by another process.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Ralph

Re: Cannot do back-up - temp filed being used by another process?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Also delete any files in the Backup folder under your Database folder, Database Supplemental files.

This is a temp location that ACT! uses when creating backups and it don't delete them if the backup files, so the folder can fill up with copies of the database.

Hi, I am having this same problem and have renamed the database, re-attached it & opened the new one, ran the back-up, and it didn't work.  I don't understand how to do these next steps, however.  I have no idea what this means - would it be possible to get a better step-by-step description on how to do the following?  I apologize but I just don't understand what to do based on these directions:

You will need to use a process of elimination to identify which file(s) or folder(s) are causing the issue. Move all the folders contained in the old supplemental files to your new supplemental files . It is recommended that you do this one folder at a time and then attempt to create another back up to eliminate those files or folder. Continue this until you have all folders moved. If after moving a folder your backup fails move the folder back to the old supplemental files folders, create a new folder named the same in the new supplemental files, and copy all the files to the new folder. Test the back up again.

When completed you can detach and rename your database back to the original name if desired. Follow the steps above. You will also need to rename the supplemental files with the same name as the database. If your database is named Contacts then your supplemental files will be named Contacts-database files.

Thanks!