Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot create remote database from ACT 2008 - stream does not support writing

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Cannot create remote database from ACT 2008 - stream does not support writing

We upgraded to ACT 2008 vs 10.0.1.199 in Nov 2007 and are running on Windows Server 2003 with .NET 2.0 SP1 (yes I have read all the uninstall/reinstall of .NET but we have other programs depending on it so don't want to do this).  Our database was converted from ACT 2000 Build 5.0.2.353 by ACT accredited installers.

However, I cannot create a remote database using this data - each time I get "Failed to create remote database, stream does not support writing".    I am creating the remote database on our server and have tried the following:

1.  run all database and repair options - tried create remote database again & failed with same message

2.  Created an empty copy of our database (we have over 70 custom contact fields), imported all records - failed to create remote with same message.

BUT I can get a remote database to create if I do the following:

1.  Make a New database, add  newtwo users and 1 new contact record - create remote and it works

2. Create an empty copy and import just our 7 users from the old database (following the how import a multi-user database & retain the record Manager in ACT article) and add 1 new record and I can create a remote database so I don't see that it can be a .NET interaction.

Anyone any ideas on how to create our remote database - I've spent so much time on this and cannot achieve what we need from our existing database (which is 3049 records by the way so I can't re-enter it).  Any pointers would be most appreciated

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anderson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Cannot create remote database from ACT 2008 - stream does not support writing

In reply to dlunceford - yes the test and production databases were always in the same location and we were created everything on the server.

BUT WE'VE SOLVED IT OURSELVES - YIPPEE! 

We had been running re-index and integrity checking regularly but then found the Remove old data procedure.  So removed cleared activities older than 60 days, re-index again and then created remote database and it worked.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Cannot create remote database from ACT 2008 - stream does not support writing

Are these test databases in the same location as you production database?  If not, move your production database to the same location as the test databases.  Then try to create the remote database.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Anderson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

In reply to dlunceford - yes the test and production databases were always in the same location and we were created everything on the server.

BUT WE'VE SOLVED IT OURSELVES - YIPPEE! 

We had been running re-index and integrity checking regularly but then found the Remove old data procedure.  So removed cleared activities older than 60 days, re-index again and then created remote database and it worked.