Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally.

Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally.

Having this error message display when I try to create a new database with ACT! Premium 2011.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally.

Yes I am using it over a network.

Loyal Listener

With a network it is possible to host a database on one machine and access it from another. The second machine does not need to have the SQL components installed. If that second machine tried to create a local database you would get errors similar to what you are seeing.

Ok great.  How would I access the file then off from the server?

joem845 wrote:

With a network it is possible to host a database on one machine and access it from another. The second machine does not need to have the SQL components installed. If that second machine tried to create a local database you would get errors similar to what you are seeing.

Loyal Listener

[ Edited ]

I am not sure I understand what you wish to do. My guess is that you are currently using ACT! on your laptop and accessing a shared database on a separate server. You are not having problems. You would like to disconnect your laptop from the server and still use ACT!, possibly with a copy of the database on the server.

If the above s true, you would need to:

1) Correctly prepare your laptop. Probably this will require uninstalling ACT! completely and then reinstalling it including SQL Server. You might possibly be able to install the SQL Server without reinstalling ACT!. Either of these processes could be tricky and I could not advise you on the details. You would also need to ensure that your laptop configuration will adequately support the ACT!/SQL combination.

2) If you want a copy of the serve database on your laptop, you will then need to address issues keeping it in sync with the shared database on your server.

You might want to talk to a local ACC about these things if you are not familiar with how to go about this.