Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot create database SQL not installed, but SQL is installed

Cannot create database SQL not installed, but SQL is installed

Hello A client of ours is trying to create a second database, emphasis on second because they have a database that is already working just fine. They use Sage ACT! Pro and Sage BusinessWorks. When I open sage Act Pro I can open previous databases, that are hosted on the local machine. But the "New Database" button is greyed out. If I go through Help and startup assistant, when I tell it to create a new database I get the no sql installed error.

Just to be sure I wasnt crazy I made sure and sure enough SQL server 2005 is installed localy.

How is it that I can open a local database yet not create a new local database?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot create database SQL not installed, but SQL is installed

Hello gummby8,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. What version of ACT! are you using? And can you verify the version of SQL is 2005?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Sage ACT! Pro 2011 V 13.1.111.0 Hotfix 1

SQL Server 9.0.3

ACT! 2011 is designed to work with SQL Server 2008 R2 (v 10.50.1600.1). Your best bet is to uninstall SQL 2005 (unless you have other apps using it), then uninstall ACT!. Reboot the machine, then do a full install of ACT!, which will include SQL 2008.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

If I remember correctly that is the SQL version that ACT installed itself during the ACT instalation process. And Even if that is not correct, why is it working for existing databases?

[ Edited ]

SQL 2008 R2 is the default version installed with ACT! 2011, but it looks like you have SQL 2005. The other database must have maintained their connection to SQL 2005 so you can still open them - you just can't create a new database with SQL 2005. You may not be able to do other things as well, such as make a backup, restore a backup, or unpack a remote database. Currently, you are not using a supported configuration for ACT! 2011 by using SQL 2005, so I would advise uninstalling SQL 2005 and ACT! 2011, then reinstalling both from the ACT! 2011 install media.

Greig Hollister