Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot access database ... verify database server ... disable firewall, et al

Cannot access database ... verify database server ... disable firewall, et al

Got a message, "The database (xyz) could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server"

This a day after an automatic Windows update occurred.  I'm running Act ver. 13.1.111.0, Hotfix 1 on Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1.  Research among topics and board messages make reference to items incompatible to anything I see on this computer or my version of ACT.  I am running both ACT and accessing the database on my local drive; I am not in a network environment and don't share my database (have no one to share with!). 

Help references mentioned shutting down firewalls frequently.  While I don't understand this, and was skeptical of shutting down something I'm lead to believe is supposed to protect me from malware, I did so none the less relative to Windows firewall.  No affect and I turned it (them) back on.  Running Kapersky Anitvirus.  Windows 7 is requiring me to learn new vocabulary and software geography so having a difficult time looking at the "engine" and not know what I'm looking at. I looked at all the tabs, hyperlinked test, click on this and that and just explored as much as practical and I found no mention of the word, "firewall".  So if firewall is still the problem, I'm assuming they're using a different word in Kapersky.

So, if it is a firewall setting (and must be in Kapersky since shutting it off in Windows made no difference), got any ideas where I go in Kapersky to find the firewall setting?  Since the problem occurred after an update (I didn't want to happen!), I'm assuming Redmond forced a change in some obscure setting in the dungeon of Windows? Yes?  If shutting off firewall is the solution (I'm yet to find), how is that an ACT solution without creating a Windows problem?

Or am I completely off base and its something simple somewhere else entirely?  Until I know, all I know is that I have things to do, places to be, and people to call.  I just don't know what, where and when or who!

Yours truely,  Exasperated with technolgy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot access database ... verify database server ... disable firewall, et al

All the possible fixes for that error are listed in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

It could be any ... but, as it happened after a Windows update, I'd start with checking the SQL services and the Firewall setting links

Re: Cannot access database ... verify database server ... disable firewall, et al

This is such a gigantic pile of CRAP!!!
Why should MY database be dependent upon what ever is going on on the internet?
This DATABASE IS MINE!!! ON MY MACHINE!!!
It doesn't need to be confirmed, verified or othewise massaged by anyone else beside ME!
PLEASE take YOUR hands off MY stuff!!!

Why di I have to be confirmed by you?

I've been playing around with trying to access MY database for the last week.

Your only response is pay us $100 to get MY database back.

Again; this is such a gigantic pile of CRAP!

I have been an ACT client for over 15 years and I am tired of the up-sell every year.
I like what I've got & you won't support it because I don't need the new "features" of your constant "upgrades."

Unfortunately, I have become so damned dependent on this software with my over 2000 contacts and over 15 years of contact data that I cannot duplicate elsewhere.

I see loyalty means JACK with you guys.

I'll plod along with each of your "solutions" and hope I stumble upon a fix.
In the meantime I may have to scrape up the multiple hundreds of dollars to buy an updated program only to access my stuff.

This is a very dysfunctional relationship we have here.

Here is my problem:
I cannot access my database.
The solutions listed that I've seen are more than 5 years old and have not worked for me.
I can't get support since I haven't bought the new version & I don't have a spare $100 to get a walk through to help me fix it.
Just frustrated, that's all. 

I understand this is over a year old but do you recall the issue? I could have wrote that exact thing.

I shut down my computer Monday, it automatically updated and Tuesday it would not open my local database. I have been all over trying to read and try solutions. The closest I have is a message that says ACT will now verify the database this process may take several minutes. IT has been about 20...I'm a little excited yet very skeptical.

I deleted the .pad file and changed the name of the ADF and .alf files and tried opening them. This is where I am at. Not to mention I have not been able to back up my database for almost 2 years so I really hope I can figure this out.

Unfortunately, most companies don't really care about you unless you buy the "Executive" package.
For us small businesses without the budget to sink into a big-box contact management system, we are out of the loop.

Things were simpler when I 1st hooked up with this company (1993 before it was named ACT!) when my insurance contacts were on a floppy disc.

Now we HAVE TO "hand-shake" with an online Gestapo before we can use our data.

Signed:
STUCK 

Administrator

Hi Kdasilva,

I have replied to your new thread. I'll try and help you troubleshoot this issue over there.

fdc2k ... Did you actually try the solutions in that article?
I haven't charged yo any money ... I've pointed you to an article that contains all the possible fixes that can produce that error.

Even those on the "Executive package", if they want someone to log in and do it, they would have to pay also

BTW: The product was named "ACT!" in April 1987. I started supporting it in October 1987

Thank you for your reply. I read the article to no avail but finally fixed it myself with a database name change and some other acts I don't even remember.

May have been wrong about the name change.

Praying I don't have any mire glitches.