Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot access Main Database on ACT 2007

Cannot access Main Database on ACT 2007

I have been using Act 2007 flawlessly for years but when I rebooted my laptop this morning I couldn’t get access to my “Main Database” on ACT.  When I attempt to open the database I get an error message saying that the database cannot be accessed.  When I tried to create a new database to see if the problem was the database itself or the ACT program, I got a message saying “Unable to create the database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server.”  I would imagine that the problem is with the ACT file rather than my “Main Database” but I’m not sure how to do anything about it.   Is there anything I can do to reprogram my ACT 2007 file?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot access Main Database on ACT 2007

Most likely the SQL server failed to start when the computer booted up. You can get to the services by right clicking on My Computer and selecting manage and manually start the service.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

When I tried to manually start the SQL Server (ACT7) I get a message saying “Request failed of the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details.”  Any idea what this means?

Not sure if this matters but this is my personal ACT program and it is not hooked up to any company network. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

That sounds like the SQL server is corrupted. The biggest problem that I see at this point is that ACT! 2007 used the oviginal version of the Microsoft SQL server. There is a possibility that a recent Windows update may have damaged the SQL server. As I remember that version of the SQL server wan't easy to uninstall and I don't know if an uninstall/reinstall would help. You likely wonlt linke to hear this but my best suggestion would be to upgrade to ACT! 2012.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129