Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot access ACT Database

Cannot access ACT Database

I have ACT by Sage 9 (Version 11.0) . Havent used ACT in about 2 weeks, tried opening my database and I get the following message:

"The database XX can not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and make sure your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your company or on your server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide."

I have not made any changes to my system configuration or loaded any new software.  However, I have received some automatic MS Windows updates.  That's it. 

I have multiple ACT databases and I get the same message with trying to open all .pad files.  Same with .adf files.

I thought to uninstall ACT but for some reason, the program is not showing up when I display programs which I find strange.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sol

solortasse@aol.com

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot access ACT Database

Chances are that something was downloaded/installed that caused SQL Server (the "database") to be stopped and possibly not restarted.  Below is something that might get you back up and running, but does not address the root cause if the issue.

1. Go to Start, and type services.msc in the search "box", or Run box - either one

2. When the Services window appears, scroll down to SQL Server, and look for the entry with (ACT7) in it.

3. There should be a Started in the third column, if not right-click that line, and choose Start.

If it is started and you still have these problems, let us know.  Also, this issue may appear next reboot, so please keep us posted and we'll try to diagnose...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

You are amazing!  That was it. 

As you suggested, the Service was blank.  Started the program and it now runs fine.  Have not rebooted yet but will let you know what happens when I do.  At least now I know how to fix it if the problem resurfaces.

Do you think it was a MS update that causes the problem?  Wouldn't surprise me.  I attempted to run MS system restore to go back to a previous setting but was unsuccessful with that.  Any addtional suggestions going forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Sol

Hi we have ACT! 2008 (10.0.0.237)

I tried what you recommended and the SQL Server was running. I have two databases on my computer.

One of them is my own databases and the other is an old one created by a colleague.

I copied the database files for my colleagues pc over onto my pc and opened the .pad file yesterday and it worked fine.

Today I can only access my database and not my colleagues.

Your help is appreciated,

James