Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Open outlook message from History

Cannot Open outlook message from History

When I go back looking for an old email message that was attached by another user and try and open it all that happens is Outlook flashes in my taskbar.  The message never opens.  Here are the details:

1. Database is stored on a server Windows SBS 2003.  ACT 2008 Premium EX.
  2. Computer is Windows Vista.  Outlook 2003.
  3. ACT History settings are entire email as attachment.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Unattaching message and then reattaching it.
  2. I have run a detect and repair in outlook.
  3. I have performed database maintenance in ACT.

The weird part is is that I can open this message from any of my other clients with the same version of Outlook.  It seems to attempt to open outlook upon double-clicking the attachment but stalls out.  There are no error messages, and ACT and Outlook both remain open without errors.  Just the message will not come up.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Cannot Open outlook message from History

Can you open a msg files outside of ACT!?  If you get the same issue outside of ACT!, try checking the file association for msg files.

David,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried to open a msg file from my attachments folder and the same thing happens.  Outlook just flashes in Taskbar at the bottom.  I checked the default program for msg before as well as today and it says Outlook.  I removed it and added msg back again linked to Outlook and it still flashes.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Since you cannot open the files outside of ACT!, we know this isn't something that could be linked wrong within the database.  I searched around a bit on Google on your particular issue and a number of search results point to Google Desktop.  Take a look at this post in another forum.