Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Open database in ACT! 2011 w/ VMware Fusion

Cannot Open database in ACT! 2011 w/ VMware Fusion

Good Morning.

I'm running ACT! Premium 2011 on my MacBook Pro via VMWare Fusion.  Every time I attempt to open our database from the network I get the following error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I can access other files from the same network folder.  It is only the ACT .PAD file that gives me this error message. 

Any help would be much appreciated.  I need my database for just about everything I do at work. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Cannot Open database in ACT! 2011 w/ VMware Fusion

Hello PeopleSmart,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

You mention network folder - the SQL program installed with Act! requires that the database be located on a hard drive that is local to the computer (local to the VM image in this situation).  Are you able to open the Act! Demo database, or create a new database?  If you are able to do either of these, try moving your database to a local drive and opening it using the ADF file (delete the PAD file first - it is just a pointer file, the ADF contains your data). 

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply.

Some people that don't have Macs in our office travel a lot and have a remote database on their laptop (I think that's the right term).  It allows them to work without being connected to the network.  When they're back in the office the databases sync up.  Could I do a remote database on my Mac?  Could it sync with the network database on a regular basis... daily maybe?

If this isn't possible, can my Mac work with the web version of ACT!?

Since I can't realistically have the whole office's database on my computer (no one could work unless I was here all the time), is there any way that I can use 2011! with my machine?

Thanks!

Platinum Super Contributor

You can run the Act! program within the VM image on your Mac.

I'm not familiar with how the VMware on the Mac identifies your office network, but since it sounds like it already does - you should be able to restore a remote database into the VM image and then sync it back to the main.

Here is an article with instructions for creating and restoring a remote database: KB Article 14116

As for the web version and being able to access it from the Mac - it is accessible from the Mac with Firefox installed (Act! for Web no longer supports the Safari browser.

Greg Martin
Sage