Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Find Database

Cannot Find Database

I am attempting to access one of our databases that is located on another computer. That user can access it perfectly fine, however I am getting an error that essentially says "cannot access database."

I have tried the things mentioned before in other posts. When I search Actdiag and and look for the database, it is no longer listed. The firewall is not an issue. I have checked that the sharing is enabled and unchecked and re-checked the box. I can see where the database is located, but it just won't let me open it.

I have experienced this issue before and then one day it seemingly decided to work again.

Any other ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot Find Database

Hello CAFG2013,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. In regards to the issue:
- Can you verify that the database can be opened locally on the machine that is hosting it, but not through the network?
- Are there other machines that can access through the network?
- What is the exact message you are seeing?
- What version of ACT! are you using?
- What operating systems are on the host and client machines?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi, Thanks for responding!

-Yes, it can be opened from the machine hosting it.

-We only have one machine (mine) that uses it through the network.

-The error is, "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server."

-I am using ACT Pro 2011. I checked that both of our versions are the same.

-Both machines use Windows 7

Platinum Elite Contributor

OK. Please check the solutions in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

The things I would try are:
- Make sure SQL Server Browser service is running on the host
- Program and port exceptions for firewall on host
- User Account Control disabled on host
- Try changing the host machine to the host's internal IP address in the .PAD file for the database

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.