Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Find Custom Template File

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Cannot Find Custom Template File

I am using ACT! 2010 and after designing a custom template and saving in Word 2007 (.dotx), I cannot find the template and cannot access the template from ACT!,  mail merge or any other selection.  Everything in Help section states to save in Word 2007 or Word 97-2003 for compatability.  Can't I save a template in ACT! directly as .adt file?  What am I doing wrong?

Pls. help .... thanks -   

Laurie

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Cannot Find Custom Template File

I am not entirely clear on your question, but to create a new template in Word to be used by Act! you need to initiate the process from within Act!.  Assuming that you have Word set as your word processor choice in Act!, from the Write menu, choose New Letter/Email Template.

This will open word.

Layout your template (if you created a word document outside of Act!, you can cut and paste contents from that into this one - keep in mind you will need to replace the merge fields).

When completed, from Word's File menu choose File and Save (no Save As).  Act! will make sure that Word selects the correct  file type (adt) and the correct folder for Act! templates (which is NOT My docs by the way).

You now have a correctly formatted and saved Word template for use with Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Try following the KB article below :

Templates Are Saved as Microsoft® Word Documents (.DOC) Instead of ACT! Document Templates (.ADT)

thanks 

Knight Rider

Copper Contributor

Thanks - I know templates are saved in Microsoft files, but I can't find it in my docs folder....also, how do I access it from ACT!?
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

I am not entirely clear on your question, but to create a new template in Word to be used by Act! you need to initiate the process from within Act!.  Assuming that you have Word set as your word processor choice in Act!, from the Write menu, choose New Letter/Email Template.

This will open word.

Layout your template (if you created a word document outside of Act!, you can cut and paste contents from that into this one - keep in mind you will need to replace the merge fields).

When completed, from Word's File menu choose File and Save (no Save As).  Act! will make sure that Word selects the correct  file type (adt) and the correct folder for Act! templates (which is NOT My docs by the way).

You now have a correctly formatted and saved Word template for use with Act!

Copper Contributor

Thanks!  I've been using 'Save As' per instructions and then couldn't find my template in Word or ACT!.  This works .... such a simple fix ... thanks again!

[ Edited ]

What is "Word's File menu" and where do I find it? I've looked at every menu and can't find anything that says File or File and Save. I'm using Word 2007.