Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Drag and Drop files into Documents tab

Cannot Drag and Drop files into Documents tab

Using Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, Hot Fix 5

Following an upgrade to Windows 8

I can no longer drag and drop files into the Documents tab ( for any Contact).

When I try I the mouse cursor changes to the Windows "Unavailabe" ("Prohibtied") cursor

Silver Contributor

Re: Cannot Drag and Drop files into Documents tab

I"m afraid you're in unsupported territory.  That version was not designed to work with Windows 8 and is unsupported on that platform.  You may find some work arounds to make it to work, but your issues are centered around the incompatibility of that version of ACT with Windows 8.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Interesting - blame it on Wondows 8 is an "out of the box" response from most vendors.

However::

• Windows 8 has not changed the drag'n'drop mechanisms (it oudl bsut many application if it did!)
  • Act is running in Vista SP2 compatibility mode

So to look at the issue the other way round: 

(As as software engineer) How would you stop Sage Act accepting valid Wndows API drop events?

Copper Elite Contributor

I don't think he was blaming it on windows 8.  Merely stating that not even the new version 2013, is listed as compatible with Windows 8 yet, until SP1 is released next year.  That's not to say it won't install or work, just that Sage have not yet finished fully testing ACT on that platform and working out any of the kinks it might have.

Having said that, I have windows 8 and Sage ACT Premium 2013 installed and the drag and drop of documents onto the tab is working fine.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
Silver Super Contributor

There have been some posts on the web about people having issues with drag & drop in Windows 8 and the fix has been to either reboot the PC or reinstall Windows 8.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

I am 90% confident that drag'n'drop DID work in WIndows 8 (pretty sure I used it a few times after upgrading to Windows 8)

This would seem to indicate that tsome Windows setting has changed. Or some other newly installed software has changed something.

My hope is that there is a registry setting, or a Windows setting  that will restore drag'n'drop in  Act.

BTW drag'n'drop works fine wth other applications...

Hi Stan

What can I say?  Reinstalling Windows is like knocking down a house and rebuilding it because a tap leaks

What usually happnens is that re-istsalling Windows (or in some situatons rebooting) resets Windows settings / registry settings back to their initial and "working" values.

Almost always these settings can be changed manaully - e.g. using Control Panel, regedit, Microsoft God mode.

My hope in positng  this issue was to discover WHICH settings - so that the info is available to other Act Users with the same issue.

( I should add that I am a freelance software developer so I have some knowledge of what happens "under the bonnet" with software)

(I should also add - don't use Regedit unless you know what you are doing....)

Silver Super Contributor

ACT! isn't going to be officially supported until ACT! 2013 SP1 which should be out in January.  That still might not resolve the issue that you're having though since it is most likely either a Windows setting or a dll incompatibility of some sort.  It could very easily have been caused by some other 3rd party application or ACT! installing an older version of a C++ dll, etc.

I'm not really sure what is causing the issue but you might have some luck Googling the problem and seeing how other Windows 8 users have resolved the issue.  Microsoft is coming out with an update very soon for Windows 8 and that might solve the problem as well.

Once ACT! is officially supported on Windows 8 Sage will devote more time and effort to resolving issues like this one.  In the meantime if this problem has occured on a system that development is using they are probably working on a fix.

This forum is a community supported forum and while Sage employees do monitor it and post here the idea is for ACT! users to share problems as well as solutions.  ACT! Certified Consultants such as Jon, Cherie and myself as well as a number of others post answers here from time to time to help out ACT! users because we all love ACT! and like to help our fellow ACT! users out when we can.  We aren't compensated for it we just do it out of the goodness of our hearts and occasionally we get some consulting business out of it.

If one of us comes across a solution to a problem that someone posts on the forum we will post the solution.  That being said I haven't seen this problem myself and until I do it's a little difficult to diagnose so when you find a solution please post it for the benefit of other users.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thanks Stan.

I wlll continue to research the issue. If i find a solution I will post it here

cheers

Andrew

Now this is extremely anooying !

After a (deliberate) restart of my PC - I can now drag'n'drop files into Act Documents Tab.