Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Drag and Drop files into Documents tab

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot Drag and Drop files into Documents tab

For what it's worth, my first rule of troubleshooting is to restart the program/computer. I know that Windows since Windows 95 loads many system files from the hard drive and doesn't reload those files until there is a reboot. If any of those systems files gets corrupted in memory, you can see random problems untill the reboot reloads the systems files Also don't feel bad, I recently forgot my first rule of troubleshooting and chased my tail for a while until I happened to do a restart.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

It was probably a clipboard issue.  A lot of programs including ACT! use the clipboard for things they shouldn't and consequently the clipboard can have problems.  The other thing that it causes is a resource problem in Windows which the service pack that is about to come out may very well fix.  Glad you got it working.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Was there ever a solution?

Its Oct 28 2013 I'm running Prem 2013 SP1-HF4 on new PC with Windows8.1.

I did have the drag and drop & send email of attached document file working when 8.0. Then days later Drag-Drop stopped and I think there was a MS KB update that got installed.  Since I had a problem downloading from Microsoft Store 8.1 I had to do Recover to do a New install still not good and all the tricks of corrupt Preferences to uninstall and reinstall no help.  Even set ACT! into Win7 Compatibility mode.

At least after seeing this Post I'm not going crazy seeing things.

I wonder if Swiftpage ACT! V16 works?

JM

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Found it.

Re: ACT! 2013 SP1HF4 on Win8.0 Outlook 2007 create email error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

Highlighted
Administrator

FWIW: Whenever something related to UAC is suspected (which is what this Key is, my recommendation is either to turn off UAC temporarily (On my personal machine I turn it off as it's one of the worst ideas MS did to windows IMO - OK, removing start button is close!) *OR* right click in application and select "Run as administrator". Also, regarding changes to Drag and Drop, This code has not been touched for at least 5 years now, It's a simple "drop-target" defined control which tells OS I'm "Accepting drops" on my windows area. So, if new problems arise, it's likely something else that changed or something we were not aware of at that time in the new OS.
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Brian,
FYI, As you may know in Win8 you can now only pull the slider to the down most position. Which does not completely kill UAC, hence the modify key value. Because run as administrator did not help which is odd why not.
I guess I could play with user accounts, login with Homegroup not local?
. Any case this is only a temp fix until a solid method is offered.
Highlighted
Administrator

Thanks, I'll have to look into that. You are saying that does not change the reg key to 0 when you "Disable" (drag all the way down)... Interesting. That is new to me.
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Correct.  If you read the web Post they confirmed it and from what I can tell Windows 8.1 START (Metro Titles) work fine.

I hve not tried testing a Windows Refresh of OS, I was able to buy through Microsoft Store a download, I have used IE browser 11 since that article is old which was only IE10 maybe a fix.

If there are issues totally removing UAC I have not seen it yet.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5509-user-account-control-uac-change-settings-windows-8-a.html

JM

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

BrainMowka,

After 2.5 hours with Microsoft I have a solution that allows UAC to be at any level now and resolved the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" errors:

1. can drag drop files onto Document Tab, and highlight and email from it no errors.

2. can click on ACT contact record email field to have Outlook open up a new message.

3. allows me to drag drop on to Nuance PDF Create Pro 8.1 Assistant app to save DOC as PDF

4. My Win8.1 PC and XP Pro PC can see each other in Networks/ HomeGroup list and access each others shared folders/files having Hamachi Free VPN setup, as well as ACT Network Sync working from XP to my Publisher  ACT PC win8.1. If they don't see each other under This PC (My Computer) Network after reboot wait because it may take a few minutes for the ACL credentials to re-establish. If they don't show up ACT Sync will not work on remote saying turn on Sync Now on Publisher (which you don't do). 

Cause:

I use www.StartIsBack.com application to get the Windows 7 Stat Button and full features (that even Windows 8.1 does not offer) all setup to mostly work in Desktop view not the Start Metro GUI tile area.

I found a Win8.1 issue that even if you Pin to Task Bar or Desktop shortcuts to application EXE's and manually set compatibility to Windows 7 and check the Run as Admin it temporarily propagates a link to the EXE.  After reboot you loose the compatibility mode settings link between the shortcut and EXE even though the shortcut still has the compatibility settings.

Also not 100% sure but we noticed doing a manual check the box for Windows compatibility mode as Windows 7 and check Admin on EXE files they did not stick after reboot of PC.  We had to uncheck the boxes (if checked) and click on the Compatibility trouble shooter button and follow the Steps to make a permanent settings.  

After that is done and the Program is working right click on EXE and select Pin to task bar or Desktop or menu.  

Since I have other programs during windows start up such as HamchiFree VPN I took a copy of that Pin Icon and paste in the Start button All Programs\Startup folder.

With Nuance little tricky getting the Drag Drop of DOC onto Create Assistant app to save PDF with no Failed error. I had to find the other two EXE's it uses and setup Compatibility Troubleshoot.

I would like to NOTE in ACT 2013 SP1 HF4 if UAC is at default when you boot up PC your going to be asked to allow two services to be run because there is no Microsoft Publisher Key assigned by the application developer.  So many people may not like every action pop up warning but live with it for a while to be sure all apps are running well and there is not another EXE UAC has issue with that if off you would not know why the app is not working. 

HOW to locate and use Run compatibility troubleshooter while leaving UAC at Windows default security level.

OpenFilelocationScreenshoots.jpg

CompatibilityScreenshoots.jpg

JM

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

I wanted to update this to make things little easier on this issue now that I'm running Windows 10 and running office 365 ver 2016.

I could no longer drag a file onto ACT! Document Tab so I had to search for this post to remind me what to do. While reading my long post with PIC's here is the simple tip.

I had set in the ACT EXE Properties checked the box Run this program as Admin.

(my earlier screen shots is of Hamachi but you can do the same thing for ACT!

I unchecked the box did Apply.

Next click Compatibility Tab

Next click on button Run compatibility troubleshooter let it does its thing run the test and you should be able to drag file onto ACT! again.

My past post pointed out a Windows Bug by manually checking the box Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select a different OS verison.  I'm not sure in Windows 10 that is fixed so just run the above step.

Also note don't need to adjust the UAC setting or edit registry setting.

JM