Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Customize Columns After Adding Yes/No Field In Contact List View

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Contributor
Accepted Solution

Cannot Customize Columns After Adding Yes/No Field In Contact List View

[ Edited ]

I just added three yes/no fields to the contact list display so I could export it out to Excel.  I need to make another change in the columns being listed, but now I get an error message: "Unable to cast object type ... "

I saw this in the beta review but can't find what the work around is.

[Edit: updated subject line]

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot Customize Columns After Adding Yes/No Field In Contact List View

[ Edited ]

Hello Jon,

This is a reported issue that is currently under investigation. There are 2 ways you can workaround this issue:

- Close ACT!

- Click your Windows Start button, then on the Start menu either click Run (Windows XP) or go to Search box (Windows Vista, Win 7) and type %appdata%

Open the ACT! folder, then the ACT Data folder

- Locate the file Act.UI.IContactListView.ser and rename it to Act.UI.IContactListView.ser.OLD. This will reset the custom column view in the Contact List

- Reopen ACT!

OR

- Open another database that does not include any Yes/No columns in the Contact List view (such as the demo ACT2011Demo) or create a new database.

- From the Contact List,  click Options in the upper right, then Customize Columns, then click the Reset button.

- Reopen your own database

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

Hello Jon,

This is a reported issue that is currently under investigation. There are 2 ways you can workaround this issue:

- Close ACT!

- Click your Windows Start button, then on the Start menu either click Run (Windows XP) or go to Search box (Windows Vista, Win 7) and type %appdata%

Open the ACT! folder, then the ACT Data folder

- Locate the file Act.UI.IContactListView.ser and rename it to Act.UI.IContactListView.ser.OLD. This will reset the custom column view in the Contact List

- Reopen ACT!

OR

- Open another database that does not include any Yes/No columns in the Contact List view (such as the demo ACT2011Demo) or create a new database.

- From the Contact List,  click Options in the upper right, then Customize Columns, then click the Reset button.

- Reopen your own database

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Your solution worked but there was suppose to be an update available to solve this problemm.  I checked and I have all the latest updates for ACT and it is still happening.  If the update available?  If it is, where do i go to get it.

Thanks,  Steve Collins

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

The update that resolves this is available for download.  Instructions for downloading and installing are available in this article: KB Article 27440

Greg Martin
Sage

I have a related  problem with Yes/No field editing while in Contact List View using ACT 2010.  When I make changes to a Yes/No field in Contact List View under the Edit option, changes are not  reliably saved; if if I click on the save button while in  the list view.   Back  when ACT 2010 was the latest version, the problem was confirmed by Support that this was an identified Bug. So I musdt user  more elaborate work arounds.   But I rely on  Yes/No fields and would like to edit several  different columns while in Contact List View.  You have suggested  the SP1 update for ACT 2011 will resolve some Yes/no problems.   What about the SP1 update for ACT 2010?  Will it resolve this problem?

Always install service packs, they always have fixes. I don't know if that will be fixed but regardless you should install the service packs. Hot fixes are more specific, usually to a single problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Roy,

I was able to successfully install ACT 2010 Hotfix 4.  Then I went to install ACT 2010 SP1.  The result was that I could not open anything in ACT and instead received  error messages before and after.  ACT 2010 SPI seems to be more about sychronizing ACT 2010 between an Admin computer that manages several ACT site licenses and  the licensed  field users, and in fact even the documentation  for the ACT2010 SPI  shows splash screens that say " ACT 2010 Premium"   And just to make it that much more confusing, Sage states that I am an ACT2010 Pro  user... but... whoops!...  The designation 'Pro' did not begin until ACT 2011.

Fortunately for me, I paid extra to receive a hard disc copy of ACT 2010, since I  purchased  upgrade  to ACT 2008 from the download demo... and , guess what ... they  sent me an ACT Premium disc, which I still have, but do not have an activation license.  So then  I requested and they sent me the ACT2010 disc. So after the bum attempt at installing SP1, I uninstalled ACT and then re-installed from my ACT disc. This restored my system to Hotfix 3 without loss or requirement to use my computer restore, and then I re-installed Hotfix 4.

I have been hesitant to attempt the SPI update, and you may have noticed several other  questions related to that.  I have found no specific instructioins  that tell me how to stop the Network Synch Service. Do I even have this? I have ACT2010 loaded on a Dell computer (32 bit)  with  Intel Core i5 and Windows  7 Professional.  I am able to install and use Microsoft Office 2007 Professional purchased for my other XP computers. I do not presently network or synch ACT between  my different computers.  I am the only User  and have full Admin priveleges. There is a separate log in button for Admin. Other than shutting down ACT, I haven't a clue how to find or control Netwrok Synch Service.

I am a very experienced ACT user.. since ACT version 2  with upgrades to ACT 5, 6, 8, 10, 12.  With regard to this bug, it is not mentioned in the SP1 update package. The ability to edit Y/N fields in Contact List was an advertised and major feature that pursuaded me to upgrade from ACT 2008.  When I reported the  problem I was assured prior to my purchase it would be fixed.  If it has been fixed in SP1 then the next question is must I also install the ACT2010 software for handhelds?  Since I have not, perhaps that is why I cannot find the Synch Service?  Or must I install Prremium ajnd push Sage to  accept  my activation code for nomn-premium ACT?