Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Access Database

Cannot Access Database

I have ACT! 2013 installed on three Windows 7 machines on a workgroup network. I just installed the third ACT program. Computer 1 uses ACT and also is the server. Computer 2 has access to ACT on computer 1 and it works fine. The ACT contact folder on Computer 1 is setup to share with everyone.

From computer 3 I can see the database but when I try to access it I get a message saying "The "computer 1" comu\puter was found but Sage ACT! cannot access the "contact" database because it is not shared.

The database is shown as unshared when I close the logon screen and click on opening a database. I am presented with several options, one of which is the database I want and it is labeled as unshared.

I know I am missing something but cannot figure what it is.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot Access Database

you may have to start act as Administrator (windows) then try to share the database. it should work then.

also a good thing is to disable the local firewall, and allow everybody to R/W in the folder where the ACT Attachments are stored.

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

I am not sure what you mean by starting ACT as the administrator. I am the only user of machine 3 and I log on using my password. Is there a place where I can tell ACT I am the administator?

The thing perplexing me is I can view the folder and files on the server machine (Computer 1). I can open the contact database file folder and view the files in that folder. In other words I have access from Computer 3 to Computer 1 from Windows Explorer which tells me the file sharing is working. But ACT views the files as unshared. There must me a setting in ACT that I am missing.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft added the UAC and if it's enabled you aren't really the administratpr. To start ACT! as the administrator, reght click on the ACT! icon and select Run as Administrator. You might want to Google UAC and read up on the User Access Control and consider disabling it.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Running as Administrator made no difference.

When I launch ACT I get my logon to the database which is a user id and a blank password. This works on Computer 2 (signing on to Computer 1). But it does not work on Computer 3 logging onto Computer 1. If I cancel the sign on and select "Open an existing Sage ACT! database" a selection screen opens and and the path I want to use is labeled as Unshare.

When I click on the Unshare button I am presented with a logon labeled "To share/unshare a Sage ACT! database you must be an administrator of the database. Enter your administrator credentials for the data base."

When I enter the  User Name for the database with a blank password (the same as I use for Computer 2) I get an ACT message saying "Error in the Application".

Copper Elite Contributor

ACT access the data via 2 ways

the first is via a Act.-Specific SQL and the second is via the file access that is probably working.

you may also want to look at the KB there are some entrys explaining the issue like i.e.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24235/kw/windows%20workgroup%20share/sessio...

or

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10675/kw/windows%20workgroup%20share/sessio...

other then that we would recomend to contact an ACC, he can help you with a remote session or if he is close to your location he can also come to your site.

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040