Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can you help?? I can no longer back up ACT ! to a USB zip drive.

Copper Contributor

Can you help?? I can no longer back up ACT ! to a USB zip drive.

When attempting to backup, ACT! 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1 the error message says the dive is full. It is not and has plenty of available space. I have backed up the same way for years without any problems. Also WinZip will not open when I backup to my desktop, the error message is; Archive is greater than 4 gigabytes. Then it gives me the same error message, that the drive is full when I try to send it from my desktop to a zip drive.
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can you help?? I can no longer back up ACT ! to a USB zip drive.

How large has your database gotten?  Look at the ADF, ALF, and Database Files folder associated with your database.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi

ADF is 296. KB

ALF is 1.0 KB

DBF is 5.68 GB

Any advise would be appreciated.

Seeing that your database files are about 6gb in size, does your USB drive have more than 6gb of space available?  You may need to remove some older backups from it to make room for the new backup file. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi,

The USB drive has 32 mb and is empty. Do you know if the files are too large for WinZip to handle?  Can you tell me why I'm getting an error message that the drive is full?

Thanks for your help.

If I read your previous response correctly and 'dbf' stands for 'database files', then your attachments folder is probably the majority of the 5gb you listed.  If your USB only has 32mb (meg) and your database/backup file is measured in gb (gig), you will not be able to put that backup file onto that drive.  Basically 1000mb is equal to 1gb.

If you were previously able to backup your database and place it onto the USB drive, the database must have been much smaller or there was more space available on the drive.  Perhaps there has been a few/several exceptionally large attachments recently added to the database.

Winzip not opening the file because it is over 4gb also tells us the size of your backup is large.  Opening the file with Winzip will not work when it is that size and you cannot restore a backup file using Winzip (it has to be done through the Act! program to parse the files correctly).

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi again,

Sorry for the typo, the USB dirve is 32 GB and empty. So I still have a quesion of why it will not backup to it?

Have you tried copying any other large files to the USB drive.  It sounds like the Act! program was able to back up to your local hard drive, there may be a problem with the USB connection/drive itself.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I have tried 3 different USB zip drives on 3 seperate computers plus the sever with the same result?  I'm stuck.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are dealing with two different animals here, first the capacity of software to backup, 2nd the computer connection to USB drive.  Here is how to untangle them:

1-back up to local folder

2-copy local folder to USB zip drive. 

and if that works,

3-repeat as desired

Good luck.

Message Edited by Master on 04-23-2010 09:37 AM