Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't start or load database on ACT 2011 Pro

Can't start or load database on ACT 2011 Pro

I just downloaded the newest ACT Pro 2011. If I try to open demo DB or creat new I get "The database ACT2011Demo could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firwall software on your computer or the server."

I did disable my Norton firewall temporarily. Im running Windows 7.  I don't know what to check on network connection to a server. I on ATT U-verser with high speed internet and it is running.

What do I do?

Re: Can't start or load database on ACT 2011 Pro

If I try to create a new DB it does bring up the initial screen to put in the DB name and user info.  Then I press OK and get "Unable to create the database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL server."

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have a look at this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Based on your 2nd message, I'd have a look at the SQL items first

BTW: This is my 10,000th post to this site :-)

That is the error but I am not sure what I am looking for in the SQL servers.  I put both the servers associated with ACT7 to AUTOMATIC but that didn't help.

I am not real sure of what I am doing but I did look at the SQL for ACT7 (there are 2) and I can't get them to START.  Get error when I try to start them.  Maybe my download of the software had an error.  I guess I'll have to talk to Sage and see if I should download again.

Copper Super Contributor

Downloading again won't help. Run the ACT! Uninstaller as per this KB article:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1940...

Place a tick mark against "Check this to uninstall ACT7 Instance of SQL server". Try reinstalling ACT! again to see if that resolves the problem.

If it doesn't, get in touch with Sage or an ACT! consultant.

Tuned Listener

I too have had this issue.

-ACT 2011 database  on Windows XP PC 

- All other XP pc's access the database OK

-Win 7 PC will initially open database then 2 days later fail to open.

- remove and reinstall of ACT works for a day or two then fails to open again.

- had success once, removing an SQL update then ACT opened OK again for 2 more days. Now nothing.

-ACT support spent 4 hours remote in to the PC no fix other than reinstallation

any other insite would be appreciated

Scott

1080 IT, Inc.

Copper Contributor

Can't load database in ACT 2011 Pro

I know this thread is old!

I have been running ACT! Pro 2011 for a long time. The other day my laptop died and I was compelled to use my recovery disk to reinstall Windows 7 Pro (64 bit).

I reinstalled ACT! Pro 2011, and tried to access my DB. I got an error message (see attached file), which says that I should check my network connection and verify the my database server is available.

The file I am trying to access is on my hard drive! I read in another post that it may be my firewall. I disabled my Windows firewall. That has no effect on opening the database. I tried to open other databases, with the same result. The only database I can open is the ACT2011Demo DB.

Can anyone help me? How do I solve this problem?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Can't load database in ACT 2011 Pro

Although not exactly matching the errors you are getting this is worth a try as the .pad files may not now be pointing to the correct place.

Find the .pad files for the problem databases and change to .old

Now open ACT - File - Open Database and select the database is not available option. 

This will let you search for the database but now you must change the file type it is looking for from .Pad file to .ADF file.

Click on the file and it will create a new .pad file with the correct location.