Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't start ACT! 11 in Windows XP

Can't start ACT! 11 in Windows XP

I have run into a dead end trying to run ACT! 11 on Windows XP.

When trying to start ACT! , am told to start Protexis Licensing V2 through control Panel/Admin Tools/etc. When I do this, get the Services message box with Error 2:  the system cannot find the file specified.

So, tried to re-install ACT! and as a backup precaution tried copying the My Documents/ACT folder to the desktop before un-installing. The copy didn’t work – got Error Copying File or Folder message box with: "Cannot copy [name_of_database]: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again". This happens even when I try the copy immediately after a restart, so I’ve no idea what program might be using the file.

Then just tried un-installing ACT! without doing this precautionary backup, but clicking on the Change/Remove button in the Add or Remove Programs just shows the hourglass icon for a couple os seconds and nothing happens – it doesn’t un-install.

What can I do to get in control of all this, and get ACT! Working?

thanks

Michael

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can't start ACT! 11 in Windows XP

For situations like these, where the Windows Installer information appears to be corrupted, we have an Act! Uninstaller utility available.  For instructions on downloading and running the Uninstaller, visit this link: ACT!Uninstaller.exe

You were unable to copy the database because the SQL program has a lock on it.  The Uninstaller will not touch your database since it is in your My Documents folder.  For peace of mind, you can stop the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service, copy the database files, and then restart the service before running the Uninstaller.  To get to the Services screen: click on the Windows Start button > select Run > enter the command 'Services.msc'.  On the Services screen scroll down to 'SQL Server (Act7)' > right click on it and select 'Stop'.  After the copy is complete: right click on 'SQL Server (Act7)' and select Start.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks, Greg. That worked fine.

Although on startup I'm now getting an ACT! dialogue box with "Error 1719: Windows Installer could not be accessed" , but this doesn't seem to be causing any problems -- or should I fix it (and if so, how?)

thanks

Michael

Platinum Super Contributor

Hey Michael,

There's definitely something wrong with Windows Installer program.  We normally see the error while installing but it sounds like your installation has completed and you are able to open the database.  While we don't support the WI program, here is a link to instructions for re-registering the WI program which may resolve this message: Windows Installer 1719 error

Greg Martin
Sage