Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't share database

Copper Contributor

Can't share database

I'm trying to share a database from tow workstations. Workstation 1 is where the original licensed ACT was installed and where the database was created from. I thn installed ACT on workstation 2 from the same install disk as Workstation 1. I then installed ACT on our network server from the same install disk as Workstation 1. Finally, I copied the .PAD file from Workstation 1 and put it on the Network server so both computers (WS1 and WS 2) can access and update it.

Here is the problem. Only workstation 1 can access the database on the network server. When I go to connect on workstation 2, I get two error messages. The first one says I don't have enough licenes on this computer to log-in. I click past that message and try to open the database and I get the dreaded "Database cannot be accessed. Check your connections..."

Form what I've read in kowledgebase, you can have upto two more computers using the original license as long as you are not trying to access the shared database at the same time. Can someone get me back on line here?

Thanks,

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't share database

The database isn't on the server, it's still on workstation 1. All you moved was the pointer file which is still pointing to a local drive on workstation 1. For starters, you will need to backup the database on workstation 1 and do a Restore As on the server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

What you've said about sharing that you read in the kb is partially correct, the thing is is you can install act one two machine with a single user license, but once you've shared the database you can use only one username to login to the database on both machines and you can login at the same time.

Regarding the error msg "the database could not be accessed...." since you said that you have install act on the work stations  I assume that you don't have act on the server machine, so just check the network connectivity between the workstations first (not the connectivity between the server and workstations).

It would be helpful if let us know if you have installed act on the sever machine or not Smiley Happy

Thanks 

Saranyan 

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I installed ACT on the Server as well.
Copper Contributor

Per your request I have checked all my connections as well. I can ping everyone in the workgroup just fine. All computers see each other on the network and all computers are on in the same workgroup. The only problem is, when I go to run the .PAD file on the server in workstation 2, I get that "Database not accessable..." nonsense. After 3 days of troubleshooting, this is where I'm stuck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

Since you said that you do have act on the server and the database was created on workstation 1, then like Mr.Roy Laudenslager said take a backup of the database and restore the database on the server machine by following the act kb article "How to Move an ACT! by Sage Database", when restoring the database on the server machine try and make sure that "Share this database with other users" option is checked. Then check if you able to browse to the .pad file from the workstations ( both 1 & 2) and open it up.

Thanks,

Saranyan. 

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the follow-up. I did the backup and restore as, and now the error message says it can't find the database name on the host computer on Workstation 2. Do I need a copy of the database on each computer? I thought ACT uses the redirect file (.PAD) to connect up to the original database on Workstation 1 to deliver the content?

Thanks,

Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

You are right in that act uses the .pad file to redirect to the database. Since it is now looking for the database on Workstation 2 when trying to open the database from the workstation 2, which it shouldn't, what you could do is open the .pad file with notepad and edit it. In other words when you open the .pad file with notepad you might find something that says Host = "." change it to something like Host = "Server machine's name" then save the file and close it. Now try and open the database again from workstation 2 and see if it works.

Copper Contributor

Thanks. When I put the server name in for host, then neither workstation can access the database. When I put the period back in under Host, Only Workstation 1 can access it.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Mark

Did you ever physically move the database to the server? 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129