Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't share database - any ides?

GSM

Can't share database - any ides?

Hello - I'm trying to share an ACT 2011 Premium database on a 2 workstation Homegroup. I've searched around here quite a bit and found a few KB articles that talk about sharing but nothing has helped.

Both machines are W7 Enterprise (32 bit). I've saved the database into the Public folder on the machine that created it and operation is normal. The database shows as shared within ACT and both machines can readily read/write to that folder and see the PAD file, but the when the second machine tries to open the database it consistently gets "The database {xxxxxxxxx} cannot be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection...."

On the system having access trouble, the firewall is explicitly allowing the application access, and all other read/write access to the Public folders works fine.

Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't share database - any ides?

Try testing with the firewall off on both systems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
GSM

Re: Can't share database - any ides?

Turning off the firewall on the host system didn't make a difference but turning it off on the second system allowed access. Strangely enough, I was then able to turn the firewall back on and it continued to work fine - as I'd expect as the application was listed in the firewall exceptions. This has always been a quirky app (I've had to work with it since 4.0) and still seems to be so.

Thanks very much for your help. I'll post one other question about email that perhaps you can also help with Smiley Happy

Glenn