Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open wpa files

Highlighted

Can't open wpa files

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am having an issue similar to the 2008 post on a client computer. https://community.act.com/t5/Act/can-t-open-wpa-files/td-p/5166/page/3

Computer: Windows 10 Pro

ACT: v21

When clicking on an .WPA file that is saved in the History tab of a contact MS Word starts it gives me the 'gibberish' window.
**This happens on all .WPA files whether I try to open them in the History tab or directly in their saved folder

Per the 2008 post, I cannot find the KB article mentioned that seems to solve the solution.

Here's what I've tried:
>ACT Preferences are set to use ACT Word Processor as the default word processing program
>Manually associating.WPA files to Act.UI.WordProcessor.dll (Right-click on the file) Select:  'Open with...' link to the Act.UI.WordProcessor.dll
  >When done, ACT the (database program)tries to open then errors and shuts-down
>Resetting the Default Apps in Windows Settings and rebooting
>Deleting the Registry Entry for .WPA file association, rebooting, then trying to open a .WPA in ACT (Start the ACT Word Processor)
*Each of the above reverts the default program back to MS Word and it attempts to open it.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Can't open wpa files

Hi,

Re-installing Act will fix this issue.

Highlighted

Re: Can't open wpa files

Paul Jagadish Thank you for your reply.

I contacted ACT Support It took them about 4-6 hours to fix.

In essence they:
Uninstalled ACT! and uninstalled Microsoft SQL 2008. They then reinstalled ACT and installed Microsoft SQL 2014