Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open or create new Template Files

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't open or create new Template Files

Just recently I've tried to create a new template file.   I usually just copy an old one and rename it, then edit it.   The new file shows up in Explorer and I can click on it and edit it, but ACT does not recognize it at all.   It has the .adt extension.    How can I fix this?    Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Can't open or create new Template Files

My apologies.  I've discovered the problem.   I had a duplicate backup database folder that I was looking at.    When I looked in the live folder the new template files were there.    Sorry for the nuisance.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Are you attempting to open the file from Explorer or through ACT!? If in ACT! and you cannot see the file, make sure you have Word selected as your default word processor (under the Communications tab in Preferences) and that the template is actually present in the Templates folder for your currently opened database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Are you attempting to open the file from Explorer or through ACT!? If in ACT! and you cannot see the file, make sure you have Word selected as your default word processor (under the Communications tab in Preferences) and that the template is actually present in the Templates folder for your currently opened database.

I try to open the template file through ACT but it does not see it, although Explorer does see it.    I can open it with Explorer but not with ACT.   Word 2007 is set as my default processor.    So when I go to Edit Template or do a Mail Merge, ACT does not see the new template.   ?????

Platinum Elite Contributor

But you can see and open other .ADT files when you select Write/Other Document (from template) within ACT!?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

My apologies.  I've discovered the problem.   I had a duplicate backup database folder that I was looking at.    When I looked in the live folder the new template files were there.    Sorry for the nuisance.