Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open database

Can't open database

We are using act 2013 and our server crashed. I have resotred the database files and folders for act back to diffterent server. I can't open the database now. the program opens the act demo database fine. I can try to open another database and locate the database and it says working when trying to open the database for hours but nothing happens. I was not able to prepare database for a move due to a crash. I have the .pad, .alf, and .adf files ready to go but the act database program doeasn't easily attach/detach to databases like many other programs.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't open database

The old PAD file is useless. Try opening with the ADF file which will create a new PAD file.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I tried just opening the database after deleting the pad file with no success, it just sits there saying working for hours. I also tried to add the database with actdiag with no suceess. Sage tech support said that if i can't open the database without the pad file then i am out of options. Not even sending the file to database repair is worth it. She said if it doesn't even open without the pad file then it is not attaching to the sql and therefore nothing they can do? Can this database only be backed up through the program? Can you not just back up the files and folders? Is this a function of haivng sql run the database?

Did you use the ACT! backup or did you do the backup external to the ACT! program.

As to database repair, our database repair would do an evaluation and it it was unrepairable there would be no charge.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Didn't use the act backup I just used a third party backup that had a SQL plugin that I thought would backup the data with no issues. It seems as though the only way to backup act is within the program which seems cumbersome.

The ACT! backup isn't required though the ACT! scheduler can make it very convenient. You need to check the backup you have to see if the ADF, ALF files and the database supplemental files folder are included in the backup. If so the database should be recoverable.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129