Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open DB after Windows Update

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Can't open DB after Windows Update

Windows 10 just did an update, ACT was working fine prior and the DB was able to open with no issues.

Error i am getting is "The database could not be accessed. In order to access check your network connection....."

This is a local DB and network is is fine. I am able to open an older DB with no problem.  The DB was open and working fine immediately prior to the Windows update.  The Db is in the ActData folder, not the Databases folder. I copied it to the Databases folder and it still does not open. The one that does open is in the Databases folder.  

Using Act Premium 18.2.53 on Windows 10

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Can't open DB after Windows Update

Hello,

This message  (In some cases)  happens when for some reason the name of the computer changed, in that case you can:

(Note:  In other cases, this simple procedure helps open the database)

1. Close Act! completely
  2. Delete or rename the PAD file
  3. Open the database by double clicking on the ADF file - allow the database recognition process to be done.

(Note: It would be nice if ... when You have an error message when trying to open the database - check the Event Viewer under Computer Management) - If you can detect an error message with the event viewer, please share the image of that error message and thus be able to detect and fix it in a direct way

3.png

1.png

2.png

On the other hand, if you want to make a manual backup of your database - all you have to do is stop two services (temporarily) copy the ADF File, ALF File and complementary file folders to a USB drive or external disk (a the best you want these files to open the database on another computer that has the same version of Act installed!)

4.png

6.png

After this procedure you can start these two services again

IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO COPY THE PAD FILE - ON THE OTHER COMPUTER OPEN THE DATABASE DOUBLE CLICK ON THE ADF FILE

...If this answered your question, please click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION - Best regards and Good luck

FIRMA.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the info but it did not work.  It shows this erorr over and over in the event viewer for MSSQL$ACT7:

Login failed for user 'ACTADMIN'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database 'b4l_new'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

Nickel Elite Contributor

I suggest then backing up the database manually as I suggested to you above

1. Close ACT! and any other running applications

2. CLICK HERE to Download the ResetSQL.bat file on C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows 

3. Double-Click on the ResetSQL.bat file to execute

4. Type "Y" and press Enter when prompted to "Turn off Password Policy".

Note: You can enter "N" when prompted to "Reset SQL password".

5. Test opening database in ACT!.

1.png

...If this answered your question, please click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION - Best regards and Good luck

FIRMA.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com
Astute Commentator

Good answer