Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open Act9Demo database.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't open Act9Demo database.

I want to test some ways of using my ACT 9 but when I try to open the dbase (Open Database, click on Act9Demo.pad) I get an error msg:

The database Act9Demo could not be accessed. In order to access this db check yr network connection & verify your db server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall etc etc.

Problem: I am not using a server!

Is there a default Username and Password for the demo db?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Can't open Act9Demo database.

Have since found the default Username for Act9Demo is Chris Huffman, Password is blank. (But this didn't solve the problem, see my last post.)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi

Is it only the demo database or are you unable to open any database?

Assuming it is any database it could be that SQL is not running.

Right click my computer - 'Manage' - 'Service & Applications' - 'Services'

Find 'SQL Server (ACT7)'  check to see if has started, if not start service.

It may fail - if so you have an SQL instance problem.

Above is only a guess but worth a look.

Regards

Chip 

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Chip,

Thanks for your suggestion. No, it's just the demo db, which I haven't accessed since last year. I just wanted to try some strategies on it for contacts changing companies without screwing with my regular database which I use daily. The Act9Demo.pad is sitting there right next to my main db pad file, and so are the Act 9 demo files. It's like the pad file has forgotten where the db files are and wants to go to a server to find them. (I'm a single user app on XP). The demo db files were in Shared docs, whereas everything else is in My Docs, but I have put a copy of Demo db files in My Docs now, but made no difference. I can't find much about pad files in the manual.

Cheers,  Graham

Copper Elite Contributor

Have resolved this myself now (sort of, I still don't know what caused the problem, which is a little scarey).

I found I had cunningly made a back up of the Act9Demo so I could restore it to original after playing with it. Interestingly, when I tried to restore it, it said I had to do a Restore As, because the back up was not made on my computer...... but it most certainly was, I only have this one with Act on it!!

Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Have since found the default Username for Act9Demo is Chris Huffman, Password is blank. (But this didn't solve the problem, see my last post.)