Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open Act! 2007 database after hard drive letter change

Can't open Act! 2007 database after hard drive letter change

[ Edited ]

My Act! database was on an internal hard drive called "G" (a partition within the main hard drive) ; WindowsXP inexplicably changed the drive Letter and it is now "U".  

Nothing else has changed (the Act! database file name is still in the same folder, has the same name, etc, just the drive letter reference was changed, it is even the same physical drive!).

I know how to change drive letters within Windows, but for some weird reason, I can NOT change the drive letter back to to the original drive letter, in fact, other than drive C, ALL of my drives (and I have quite a few external ones) were switched around to different letters and I can not change ANY of them (the option to do so is grayed out).   I was un- and re-installing some programs (notably Roxio 6 to Drive C), but that shouldn't have made any difference in drive letter assignments...

So, how do I get to open my ACT! database (the last back-up was 6 days ago, so I'd like to just be able to use the active copy) when nothing other than the drive letter was changed.

Any help would be appreciated !

Regards,

Peter 

PC & Associates

Sage PFW Authorized Partner

Honestly, the changes to the MSQL based Act! are terrible in that way (I liked the old Act! 6 better..., and it was faster!).   Oh, and the PC has WindowsXP Media Center (latest patches) installed...

Message Edited by pcelias on 04-19-2008 08:47 AM
Message Edited by pcelias on 04-19-2008 08:48 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't open Act! 2007 database after hard drive letter change

You need to find out what on your sywtem could have changed the drive letter. This will cause many applications to fail (including the old ACT! 6)

It could have been many things from an application install to a virus.... either way, it's something you should resolve first

Nickel Super Contributor

Peter,

You will need to detach the database and re-open it via the adf file.

Go to Start / Run and type in ACTDiag

Click on Databases - Database List

Highlight your database, right click and select Detach.

Once the database has been detached, go to the location of the database and delete the .pad file.

Open ACT, go to File / Open Database

Change the files of type to .adf and attempt to open your database.

If when you go into ACTDiag it shows the Database as Suspect instead of Online, there will be additional steps.  

Thanks!  I finally managed to find the ActDiag utility on my own (had to do an online search to find out about it) and "detached the database" and then was able to open it back up again.

I don't think it was a virus that switched all my drive letters (my system is clean), but various packages that I was un- & re-installing around that time included Roxio 6, my ISP "EzTrust suite" was switched to "CA Security Center", ActiveSynch v4.5 (which isn't synching with my Cingular 8525 phone, etc).

Peter

But honestly, they should make it easier to find out about the diagnostics utility...

Peter,

My database shows up as suspect after I moved it.  I put it back where it was but still the same problem.  What are the additional steps I must take.

Thanks!

Bob

Platinum Elite Contributor

First, for this thread, the correct way to move an ACT! database is via Backup/Restore, as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4ptd37

To fix it, you might try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4ahe22