Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open ACT says cannot authenticate!

Can't open ACT says cannot authenticate!

it has my name & password, but won't let me open it.

Re: Can't open ACT says cannot authenticate!

What version of ACT!?  Have you always had to enter in a password?  Try different variations of your name or common user names that you use.

where would the answer to this question be?/

The same is happening to me. i have a back up of my old data base

I have restored the data base successfully ( using ACT2008 10.0)  but I get the error message " cant authenticate the user"

i am the only user.i have checked to make sure that i have the right status but it does not work

i have tried for hours

what should i do ????

Thanks so much for replying

the version of ACT that i am trying to restore is 2008 (10) I backed it up from my old desk top before it crashed. it looks like a good back up with ' all " my files i.e. its a good size. I go through the steps of restoring it but when i try and open the database, i get the same ' cannot authenticate user or password" i am the only one that uses the program and I know better than to use a password. If i did i only use one and it is not that.

I also have ACT 2009 ( 11) and it does the same with this .

Really frustrating

Thank you for trying to help!

Try entering your first and last name without a password.  If it doesn't work, try different variations of your name (e.g.  first initial last name, etc...) and other common user names that you use.

I have similar problem "Could not authenticate user.  Verify the user name and password, and try again."  I have been logging into my remote data base for nearly 16 months without a problem.  Yesterday, while logged in to this database, I attempted to create a new database by importing a csv file that was a condensed list of contacts from my remote database.  The import option didn't work, so I choice to open my remote data base.  Using the Open menu item I selected my remote database.  It opened with my user name as it always has for the last 16 months.  I use no password so I clicked the OK button and boom!  I know get the message "Could not authenticate user.  Verify the user name and password, and try again."  I've rebooted with the same results.  What happened?  How can creating a new database destroy the authentication credentials on your current (and active) database. Any ideas on how to correct?  I haven't had access to my contacts for two days --- this is becoming a big problem. 

ACT! is going to retain the last user name used.  Since you created a new database, its remembering the new database's user name. 

You can just contact the administrator of the main database and have them go to Tools > Manage Users to find your user name.

I am the administrator and the only person using the program

I use the same name and no password

My experience is exactly the same as td nelson below except it is longer than 2 days and I have lost everything ( and therefore stopped using the program! )

I have tried everything it is something whereby opening with remote as changes something and it wont open.

any more ideas?

i will try anything

kauna2116,

Call support, they will retrieve the user name and reset the password.