Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't insert new notes

Can't insert new notes

Every time I try to insert a new note into one of my contacts, I get thrown out of Act!  It gives me an error message that reads Act! by Sage has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.  Why is it doing this?  I have got to be able to add new notes to client entries.  Please help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can't insert new notes

Hello Marcy,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

If your operating system is either Vista or Windows 7, try running Act! 'as Administrator'.  To do this: close Act! > right click on Act! icon > select 'Run As Administrator' > test.

Here are some steps to try and resolve your issue:

- run database maintenance: open Act! > go to Tools > Database Maintenance > select Check and Repair.

If that does not resolve the issue -

- create a new copy of your database: open database > go to File > Save Copy As > give it a new name and use 'Create Copy' option (not empty copy)

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hi, I'm having a similar problem but instead of being kicked out of Act! and seeing an error message the program simply locks up on me. 

I'm running Act! 2006 v. 8.0.2.82 on a Windows XP machine.

I've tried both of the fixes that Greg recommends and neither had any effect.  I have also tried uninstalling then reinstalling Act. That didn't work either.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Nickel Super Contributor

Try opening the ACT Demo database (usually located in My Documents/ACT/ACT for Windows/Database folder.   Try adding a note to a contact in there and see if it still happens.  This will tell you if the issue is specific to the database or not.

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

I have had the same problem for over a year now.   I am a "premium support" customer too and they are completely baffled by this problem.  They have tried using the demo database, reinstalled ACT (3x), I even just reinstalled my operating system and yet the problem still exists  (very frustrating considering all the time I've invested on this issue.  We use ACT Premium for Web 2008 v 10.0 running on a Dell PowerEdge SC440 with Win 2003 Enterprise O/S.  The problem is that the issue does not happen every time; things work fine for a few days (sometimes hours) and then BANG - it kicks my users out of ACT when they enter notes.  They either see the actual ACT log-in screen within the notes section (almost like they are logging in twice) or they get an APFL (?) error message.  I have to reboot the server which sometimes seems to fix the issue.  Occassionally, my users are unable to access documents either leaving the database useless to us.

I have considered moving off of ACT many times and just so happen to run into this website and figured I'd see if anyone else has managed to resolve this.  Again, it's tough to replicate since it doesn't happen every time.  So, when I have a support agent who did something to "fix" it and they see notes working again, they assume it's fixed permanently but never is.

Frustrating when ACT premium support is clueless too.

I have the same problem. I'm using Act!2006 - Vista OS. Initially it worked fine. Now whenever I try to add a note, the softwae becomes non-responsive and I have to force it to close down. When I do that, the message reads that Act! is waiting for my response... If I am not able to use "add note" feature, the whole software is useless...

I just fixed it following the steps listed here: http://sage.lithium.com/t5/Sage-ACT/NOTES-PROBLEM-ADDING/td-p/36241

I, too, had the same problem of not being able to add notes to my contacts.  This was a big problem for me because my notes are critical in keeping my contact records and history up to date.  I read some of the other "fixes" that were offered by others but none of them seemed to work.  This problem went on for a month before I figured out what was wrong and how to fix it.  This suggestion might work for you as well;  just follow these steps:

1.  open up a contact (any contact)

2.  click on the "Notes" tab

3.  right under the "Notes" tab there is a "Dates" field with a pull down arrow

4.  make sure the "Dates" field is set to "All Dates".  If not, click on the pull down arrow and change it to "All Dates".

5.  now try adding a note and see if it shows up

Let us know.

Employee

Hi,

Please ensure all the filters under notes tab are set to a default All and that might fix the issue