Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't increase field length as it says combined field length exceeds database table

Can't increase field length as it says combined field length exceeds database table

Hi,

When I try to increase a decimal field in Opportunities from 8 to 10 decimal places, it tells me I can't increase field length because the combined length of the fields exceeds the limit for the database table. However I downsized one of my fields from 450 to 120 characters and it still won't let me increase any other field.

I read this article but I don't want to delete any of my fields. Unfortunately they're all necessary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rachel

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't increase field length as it says combined field length exceeds database table

The field that you decreased the size of was likely in a different table from the one where you are trying to increase the field size. SQL limits the size of individual tables but a base table can have one or more spillover tables linked to it and appear to the user as a single table. However the fields in a table, base or spillover won't bridge from table to table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Can't increase field length as it says combined field length exceeds database table

I've had this issue and solved it by creating a new field with the new specification and Edit Copy all data across.

Delete original field and rename new field to the original field name.

It worked for me. HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org