Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't import old database

Can't import old database

For some reason, my act 2008 installation decided to stop working for some reason (XP SP2). So, I simply uninstalled, re-installed.

I set up a fresh database, all works nicely. What I would like to do, is import my old database contacts, etc, into the new database. Problem is, when I try to import from the File > Import menu, I enter all the details, but I am met with the error message:

"You can not import the currently open database." It just so happens that the old database has the same name as the new database. I moved the old database to a different directory before uninstalling, etc. It is found at c:\olddb.adf with the pad file olddb.pad.

I opened the pad file to change the directory location for the old database to c:\olddb.adf (instead of the location of the new version of this file).

Is there a way I can change the name of the old database olddb.adf to something else so it doesn't have the same name as the new one? I have tried simply copying the old database over the new one, but I get the error along the lines of cant connect to the database....blah....firewall thing....

Any suggestions?

Re: Can't import old database

I just installed the 2008 version of Act as well.  Before you can import the data from the old version you have to convert it to the new format.  I just contacted Act customer service and let them dial into my computer to facilitate the conversion which seemed to work pretty well.  If you're still within the 30 day registration window they won't charge you for it.

My 'old' database is not actually that old, it is a 2008 database. I mean old and in installation (1 month ago).
Copper Elite Contributor

create a new database with a different name, then import your old database into this new db

Tried that, but I am receiving the error:

"ACT! is unable to connect to the specified database. The database may need to be verified and upgraded. Please cancel the import wizard, and open the database by selecting Open from the File menu. After the upgrade, your database will be ready for import."

So, I tried to open it, and:

"Could not find a database called BusinessDB on host PC1"

Any other ideas?

Copper Contributor

Good Luck RT - Im sure you, like I have done many of these types of merges/conversions in the past.....with Other Software applications...... but in this case you are using ACT you have a few choices to get the DBase merged here they are:

1. Spend HOURS and HOURS reading the help and knowledge base and trying all the tips of how to do this (cross your fingers on each attempt)

2. Call Sage - (Pay for support if you arent within your 30 Days) and spend a while with them to do it for you

** Please remember that UNLIKE almost any other software you have previously used... ACT has unique ways of making this process complicated.

Again - Good Luck

Copper Elite Contributor

what is the version of act on the remote machine

goto help | about act | check the version

make sure both computers have the same version

Both databases are on my local machine and were created with ACT! 2008 Standard (10.0). 

Copper Elite Contributor

goto open database,

select act database.adf under files type

try to open the db using the adf file

then try to import

.ALF file can't be found. This is not a valid ACT! database.